Fluff Bakery pitches liquor license plan

At least five liquor licenses have been transferred between establishments in the City of Athens without a fight since 2012.

But the owners of Fluff Bakery, 8 N. Court St., hit a roadblock in their quest to serve liquor when city officials Monday night noted local business leaders and Athens residents have voiced complaints and concerns about the bakery’s initiative.

That led Athens City Council members to agree to put forth a motion requesting a public hearing next week in regard to Fluff’s possible acquisition of a liquor license by transfer. The city’s authority ends, however, at forwarding the request to the Ohio Division of Liquor Control, which can then choose to approve or deny the public hearing.

“This liquor permit was held in safekeeping for Westend Tavern, and the entity of Fluff Bakery would like to have it transferred to their business,” Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th ward, said, adding she didn’t have more details on the Westend Tavern.

Fahl said most businesses acquire their liquor license by transfer, and that the city rarely sees new licenses.

Fluff Bakery owners Jason and Jessica Kopelwitz told council members that they have heard no complaints from citizens and would prefer to have concerns directed toward them, or to have the names of the offending parties revealed. Jason added he and his wife were informed at last week’s city council meeting that concerns were raised to city leaders.

The Kopelwitz’s added they have no intent to turn Fluff into a bar — just a restaurant with an extended menu.

“We’ve worked hard to conduct a community-minded business,” Jason Kopelwitz said, adding the restaurant would close by 10 p.m. on any given night. “It’s a bit insulting to not be able to talk it out with people who have a problem.”

Fluff is hoping to acquire the D1, D2, D3 and D3a liquor license and serve a full bar menu while becoming a more “sit-down” establishment, complete with a wait staff.

Councilman Steve Patterson, D-at large, said this request, the sixth since 2012, is the only recent one that ran into complications.

However, Fahl said it’s the city’s duty to carry through with resident concern.

Mayor Paul Wiehl, noting the rarity of these requests, said he “can’t envision how Fluff would actually go about,” serving liquor.

Jason said he only asks that anyone who has an issue with Fluff come forward, as they will have to be present at the hearing regardless.

“I’ve spent the last week trying to discern who might have issued this complaint,” Jason said. “Council has been very vague. Nobody has asked us what we intend to do. We felt it was in our best interest to squash the rumor mill.”

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu