Gamer Girl: Wireless phone hook-up is car's coolest tech perk

This spring break for me was a memorable one. After waiting for what has felt like forever since getting my driver’s license, I finally purchased my first car: an adorable white Ford Focus.

There are a ton of really fun features about the car, but to avoid boring you all with my excitement, I’m going to focus on one of the coolest things: Sync.

To be honest, I never really knew anything about Sync before I got in the car for a test drive. I’ve always loved cars with some fancy-schmancy tech features, but I never thought it would be something I would actually have.

Sync is a feature in newer Ford cars that allows you to wirelessly connect your phone through a Bluetooth connection. Connecting it took less than five minutes. All I had to do was turn on Bluetooth and enter a specific code.

Now, with the press of a convenient button on my steering wheel, I can say a variety of voice commands to control my phone. Phone calls go through my car so I can talk without even touching my phone. I can answer the calls, call anyone from my contacts or even type in a specific number with the number pad on my console. I can also ask Sync to read recent text messages to me. As someone who is always attached to my phone, this makes driving super safe, but also doesn’t make me disconnect during my drives.

I also love the media features Sync has. Through this wireless connection, you can play anything from your phone — music on your device, your favorite Pandora station, your current audiobook selection or whatever else you desire. It’s so nice to not have the clutter of cords that would usually allow you to do this, and you don’t have to worry about having bad audio quality from the cords that connect your device through the cassette tape player or the cigarette lighter.

I’m sure there are a ton of other things Sync does that I’ll be obsessing over, but for now, you can find me on the roads cruising to my 2000’s Hits Pandora station and constantly calling my mom to tell her just how much I love wireless dialing.

Sophie Kruse is a sophomore studying journalism and a writer for The Post. What cool tech features does your car have? Email her at sk139011@ohiou.edu.