Editor-in-Chief of The Post

Jim Ryan, current assistant managing editor, selected as new editor-in-chief

Last Friday, The Post’s Publishing Board selected Jim Ryan, a reporter and editor at the newspaper for three years, as the paper’s next editor-in-chief.

A primary focus of Ryan’s pitch to the Post’s governing body was his plan to move to a web-first, premium print product mentality.

“I think the key for us moving forward is being a multi-functional news organization rather than a newspaper that happens to post its stories to a website,” said Ryan, a junior from Gaylord, Mich., studying journalism. “I think there’s a key difference there.”

Ryan plans for the newspaper to put the focus on uploading breaking news and other content more urgently to its website, which will be overhauled Fall Semester. Ryan also plans to increase The Post’s graphics and other visuals to make Ohio University students more likely to pick up the print product.

“Jim has long overseen new ways of storytelling at The Post, including producing a number of podcasts and other multimedia content,” said Ryan Clark, the paper’s outgoing editor-in-chief. “He understands digital is the future and will help update the publication further beyond simply a print newspaper but to a multimedia publication.”

Ryan started his career at The Post in Fall 2011 as a high school football writer, rising to assistant sports editor during his sophomore year and assistant managing editor this academic year.

Coming up with a five-year plan for the paper will be a priority next year for Ryan, who hopes to consult with Post alumni and others to develop and begin implementing changes to the paper’s business and publishing model.

Ryan also stressed long-term planning to implement more projects and noteworthy pieces, which he hopes will encourage the paper’s audience to continue valuing the newspaper’s daily presence on campus and online.

Current Local Staff Editor Joshua Jamerson and Campus Staff Editor Sara Jerde also applied for the top editorial position at the paper.

The Post’s Publishing Board comprises OU faculty members, students and a community member.  

Ryan also stressed recruiting the newspaper’s future talent, adding the 2014-15 academic year will be crucial for The Post in general.

“This year is going to be especially key in making sure we take a leap forward instead of baby steps,” Ryan said.

@WillDrabold

dd195710@ohiou.edu