Man could serve up to 33 years for charges

A Little Hocking man pleaded guilty to multiple rape charges in the Athens County Common Pleas Court on Tuesday and could face decades in prison.

Alan Brigner, 35, originally pleaded not guilty Jan. 23, 2013 to the indictment charging six counts of rape, which are all felonies of the first degree.

Brigner could serve up to 11 years in prison for one first-degree felony if convicted; therefore, Brigner could have faced up to 66 years behind bars, according to Ohio Revised Code.

However, according to court documents filed Tuesday, Brigner is subject to serve a maximum of 33 years in prison and pay a maximum fine of up to $60,000. He will not be permitted to earn days of credit, which could count against an inmate’s prison sentence for each month participated in educational or employment programs, due to his sex offenses.

He will also have to pay restitution, register as a Tier III sex offender and serve five years of post-release control.

Throughout the case, Brigner was ordered to stay away from the victims and to stay within the area. On Dec. 23, the defense requested in a motion that the court exclude the ages of the victims in the presence of a jury because “age is irrelevant to the charge in the courts indictment... (and it) is not an element of the offense of the indictment,” according to court documents.

The motion also requested to withhold the names of any other alleged victims.

Brigner’s bond setting was postponed until his sentencing hearing April 29, according to court documents.

kf398711@ohiou.edu

@KellyPFisher

This article previously ran in print under the headline "Man may serve 11 years for charges." The man potentially could serve up to 33 years in jail for his charges.