Post Picks: 3/27/14

Strange names and slam-dance anthems

This week has been a great week for bands that have potentially unsavory band names. Syracuse rockers Perfect P—sy released their abrasive but brilliant debut album called Say Yes to Love, Tuesday.. Singer Meredith Graves vocals claw against layer upon layer of guitar and squalling feedback. Highlights “Driver”and “Interference Fits” propel the album to it’s demanding, yet rewarding sound which can be described as being stuck in a washing machine full of rocks, while really liking it.

Also released this week, the debut single by Toronto punks F—ked Up, called “Paper the House.” this thunderous song features the pounding drums, intricate detail and gruff vocals fans have come to expect from the band — and it’s beautiful. Look for more when the album, Glass Boys, comes out June 3.

Dylan Sams,

Staff Writer

Beck To basics 

Feeling stressed? It’s hard not to when the day-to-day of college life keeps students constantly rushing from one class to the next with little time to take a minute to enjoy the beauty of Southeastern Ohio in the spring.

Morning Phase, the latest offering from Beck, should feel like a breath of fresh air to anyone searching for a relaxing new soundtrack for long treks around campus. While the nerd rocker behind the music is typically known more for his nonsensical hits, like “Loser,” than anything else, his newest singles, such as “Morning,” show how tender he can be when opts to replace bumping beats with sweet serenades.

Jacob Desmit, 

For The Post

Born to run

One might think living out in the middle of nowhere would yield very few options when it comes to getting out for the daily jog. After all, isn’t it easier to just get on the hamster wheels at Ping? If you, like myself, much prefer getting out-of-breath on fresh air, you’re in luck. Athens provides far more options than running on the beaten path. Should you be looking for an adventure, try run-hiking up to Bong Hill; if you’re feeling ambitious try to make it up the punishing climb on Madison Avenue off East State Street without stopping to walk, or if you’re looking for a mellow jog try taking the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway west of Athens past the Good Earth Farm.

Lucas Daprile,

Asst. Local Editor