Swimming and Diving: Ferguson finishes season at NCAA Championships

On paper, sophomore Addison Ferguson’s 38th place finish in the 100-yard backstroke at the NCAA Championships wasn’t up to par in comparison to her regular season.

Ferguson’s time of 53.67 seconds was only .57 seconds slower than her prior time of 53.10 at the Mid-American Conference Championships, when she took home gold in the event.

However, coach Derick Roe said that Ferguson’s performance was only the beginning for Ferguson in her Bobcats career.

“It’s unbelievable what she has accomplished this season,” Roe said. “People will say it was a ‘bad meet’ for her, but to be a NCAA first-timer and perform in that type of atmosphere, it was a great experience for her.”

The atmosphere Roe mentioned that the NCAA Championships created was something Ferguson had to adapt to in her first trip to the national meet.

“For someone in their first trip to the NCAA Championship, it can be very overwhelming,” Roe said. “We even saw that with our nation’s best, Missy Franklin.”

Ferguson also clocked in a 54.60 in the 100-yard fly, placing her 57th out of 59 swimmers.

Despite being the only Bobcats swimmer competing in the event, Ferguson’s season did not begin with the rest of her teammates. She did not swim until Ohio’s meet with Marshall on Nov. 8, after missing the first two meets against Ball State and Buffalo.

Roe said Ferguson’s missed time didn’t hinder her performances this season, but stated that it can be difficult to come back and compete after lost time.

“Any time you’re missing time, it takes away from the foundation of training that’s built in the first few months,” Roe said. “It’s definitely hard, and for her to respond and come back the way she did, I’m very proud of her.”

Despite her struggles in the standings, Roe said that the “sky’s the limit” for Ferguson and that her future on the team is auspicious.

“There’s still a lot of potential for her to tap into,” Roe said. “I think she has really made an impact this season and has a bright future ahead of her.”

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohiou.edu

This article appeared in print under the headline "Ferguson finishes season at NCAAs"