Women's Golf: Bobcats tied for ninth place after day one

The women's golf team finished its first day of competition tied for ninth place in the Ocala Invitational in Ocala, Fla. The Bobcats are competing against 16 teams from across the country including Mid-American Conference rivals Toledo, Akron and Northern Illinois.

During the team’s first day of play the Bobcats finished an overall score of 306. The Bobcats sit 11 strokes behind the Daytona State College, which leads the field at 295 strokes.  Daytona State also has the top two individual scores so far in the tournament.

Toledo is the only member of MAC in front of the Bobcats, as the Rockets shot a team score of 303, though it has only one member who is in the top 20 individual scores.

Although no members of Ohio shot under par, Freshman Hailey Hrynewhich shot a 73 which put her one-over-par and fifth overall. Hrynewhich’s performance marks her best of the spring and she is also only one stroke shy of her career best. She is just six strokes behind the tournament leader at 67.

Sophomore Angela Codian is right behind her teammate after she shot a 74. She has also shot a 74 or lower in three of her last six rounds and is currently ranked 14th.

The other members of the Bobcat team are currently not ranked in the top 20 in the tournament but senior Kristen Helmsdoerfer has not shot over an 80 this season after shooting a 78 on Sunday.

Ohio has two more days of competition and teed off the second day of play at 8 a.m this morning and with a beautiful forecast in front of them, the team looks to continue to improve and place themselves a top the leaderboards.

FAST FACTS:

Freshman Hailey Hrynewhich 73 (+1)

Sophomore Angela Codian 74 (+2)

Senior Kristen Helmsdoerfer 78 (+6)

Senior Kara Brinkmann 81 (+9)

Junior Julie Lechner 82 (+10)

ph553412@ohio.edu