Women's Soccer: Bobcats begin spring season with indoor games

While Chessa Field still thaws from its winter slumber, Ohio soccer took to Walter Fieldhouse for a pair of preseason games this weekend.

After starting preseason practice a few weeks ago, the Bobcats hit the field playing host to some Division II competition in West Virginia Wesleyan and Findlay. They had little trouble against the Bobcats and the Oilers, defeating both by scores of 6-1.

Because the dimensions weren’t that of normal collegiate sized pitch, the teams played eight versus eight and Ohio was able to use that to their advantage as they were able to get out into space, creating easy scoring opportunities throughout the whole day.

“We played a 2-4-2 formation today because I feel that our two center backs are so vital in starting our attack,” coach Aaron Rodgers said. “Really what I’d like to do in the fall with 11 a side is I’d like our two outside backs to go high. Basically what we did today was play our two outside backs as wide midfielders and that really helped with what we were doing.”

This 2-4-2 system worked well for the Bobcats as they were able to get out on the break, but were still able to get back and organize well against the opposing offenses.

The star of the day was junior forward Holly Harris, who scored a combined six goals and three assists in the games. She used a variety of skills to open up the opposing defenses recording a hat trick in each game.

“She’s been fantastic this spring,” Rodgers said. “Holly can be an All-MAC forward in this league easily, Carly (Manso) can as well. I think they have had a tremendous spring, both have worked so hard. Both have played off each other so well in training.”

Manso had success offensively and had the prettiest goal of the game against West Virginia Wesleyan. She got the ball on the top of the 18-yard box and turned to hitting a curler into the top left corner of the goal and put the Bobcats up 3-0.

Rarely was Ohio caught outnumbered on defense and when it did, the midfielders were able to get back to help defenders. The returning center-back duo of juniors Gabby Hausfeld and Grace Campbell was in great form communicating well and shutting down the opposing attacks.

Both opposing goals came as somewhat flukes as they were odd number attacks where it took a great individual effort from the players.

Ohio will go up against stiffer competition in the next two weeks when it hits the road to face Marshall and Ohio State.

“We’re going to be tested against Marshall who is going to be very difficult to deal with and the same with Ohio State,” Rodgers said. “We’ll have to keep developing and pushing our level and getting outside our own comfort zones to improve.”

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohio.edu