Junior catcher Adrienne Gebele has to balance her schoolwork with her life on the softball field. Gebele is studying applied nutrition and was an Academic All-MAC honorable mention last season. (CARL FONTICELLA| FOR THE POST)

A Day in the Life: Student-athletes face a rigorous daily schedule

Editor’s note: This is the second in a three-part series exploring the balance Ohio student-athletes strike between their academics, athletics and extracurricular activities.

When Ohio softball players Lauren McClary and Timmie Rappe are having fun in their apartment — perhaps relaxing after a day of softball practice and classes — Adrienne Gebele and Kaylin Clarke are at their desks in the apartment above, straining their eyes over the day’s academic workload.

Although their approaches to student-athlete life might differ, what’s apparent is the bond Ohio’s softball athletes share with one another.

“You don’t see us apart from each other on and off the field, and the great thing about our team is that we’re such a family that we don’t get on each other’s nerves too bad,” said Clarke, a junior first baseman from North Royalton, Ohio.

The bond, boosted by time practicing and competing, as well as working alongside one another in and out of the classroom, is strengthened by the work ethic of the team’s student-athletes — a trait coach Jodi Hermanek instills in her players.

“It’s tough, it’s challenging, it’s not the average student’s rigorous schedule, but if you’re dedicated to your sport and dedicated to your athletics, it’s more manageable than people think it is,” Hermanek said.

From tutors to professors who are willing to work with student-athletes’ shifting schedules, resources are in place for success during their tenure at Ohio. In an era where student-athletes have begun to seek restitution for their dedication to athletics and academics, the compensation might be hidden beneath the hard work.

“In our eyes, the payoff is that they are a special prize to the university in a very unique way, as they are able to travel through the nation and put their sport on the field,” Hermanek said. “At the same time, (student-athletes) are highly recognized in their field of study.”

Gebele, a junior catcher from Annapolis, Md., is studying applied nutrition and was an Academic All-MAC honorable mention last season. She also made the Dean’s List last fall and perhaps more surprisingly, has embellished the reputation of keeping her teammates awake with her dedication to the classroom.

“Adrienne studies all the time,” Clarke said. “On the bus, she studies and she’s always got her light on. It’s so annoying because I’m right behind her and I want to sleep. (But) that’s always my biggest kudos to her. I don’t know how she can do it (study) for seven hours at a time.”

Gebele’s credits her father for her relentless work ethic she has honed at Ohio.

“I think I got a lot of traits from my dad and I think he is a very structured individual, just going through the (U.S. Naval) Academy,” Gebele said. “The genetic traits and the environment that I grew up with are there (with me).”

In a typical day that starts as early as 6 a.m., Gebele and Clarke are overwhelmed by softball and class before eventually crashing at the end of the day. Yet with every day that passes, Gebele knows that she cannot get back each practice, game or workout with her softball family.

“I’ve got what, 18 more months I can play this sport that I’ve played since I was in second grade?” Gebele said. “Softball is fun, but unfortunately there is a time limit on it.”

@colinhanner

ch115710@ohiou.edu