Provided via The Athena Cinema

Academy Award-nominated documentary comes back to Athena Cinema

Fans of the local REACT to Film screenings are in luck this week, as the Athena Cinema will be hosting not one, but two of its screenings.

To finish up the semester, REACT to Film will first be teaming with STAND Against Genocide with a screening of the Academy Award nominated film

The Act of Killing

Monday, then will return the following day with a screening of

The Crash Reel

at the same time.

“A group called STAND approached us about doing a collaboration, and since it is an incredible film and brings up a very important topic we were happy to work together,” said Caitlin Stone, president of REACT to Film and a senior studying media. “

The Crash Reel

is a nationwide screening, however, it is our final one for the year.”

Made up of 11 students, members of STAND said they felt that

The Act of Killing

would be a good way to reach out to students as they would be presented with a film that they would recognize and hopefully will see.

“Screening

The Act of Killing

?aligns with STAND's mission to discover our responsibility to the protection of others all throughout the world,” said Krista Mobley, co-president of STAND Against Genocide and a senior studying international and global studies. “STAND focuses on creating a call to consciousness …this film does exactly that.”

Jack Spicer, a senior studying political science and STAND’s national campaigns coordinator, said he feels this movie is an efficient way to get the word out on the organization.

“What was so attractive about this film was that it deals with national atrocities, but it deals with them in a light that we haven’t seen,” Spicer said. “It was also nominated for (an) Oscar, so that’s kind of the idea behind the campaign. We finally have a movie that is relevant, that’s an Oscar contender.”

As a film exploring the life of snowboarder Kevin Pearce, a man set to become the next Shaun White until he suffered a brain injury, REACT to Film felt Tuesday’s

The Crash Reel

was an important documentary for the campus to see.

“The film explores the danger of brain injuries, which is a topic that is too often ignored within sports related media,” Stone said. “The film is also closely associated with Pearce's Love Your Brain foundation, so we saw it is an opportunity to not only screen the film but actively support the cause.”

@thewillofash

wa054010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What:

The Act of Killing

When: 7 p.m., Monday

Where: The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St.

Admission: Free

What:

The Crash Reel

When: 7 p.m., Tuesday

Admission: Free