Brigner

Athens County judge sentences man who raped 13-year-old to 20 years in prison

A Little Hocking man who pleaded guilty last month to an indictment charging three counts of rape — all felonies of the first degree — appeared in court Tuesday for a sentencing hearing.

Alan Brigner, 35, was sentenced to 20 years in prison, though, the state had originally requested 22 years.

According to a news release from Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn’s office, Athens County Common Pleas Court Judge L. Alan Goldsberry agreed to 20 years based on the “severe damage to the victim” and because it would be “irresponsible” to impose community control based on his actions, to which he admitted he was guilty.

Blackburn stated in the release that “in the summer of 2012, (Brigner) did engage in sexual conduct with a 13-year-old female on numerous occasions.”

It was not immediately clear whether Brigner knew the minor beforehand.

Brigner’s indictment originally included six counts of rape rather than three, but the state moved to dismiss the remaining three counts when he pleaded guilty March 25, Assistant Athens County Prosecutor Meg Saunders said in an email.

Given that all six charges were felonies of the first degree, Brigner could have faced up to 11 years for each charge, bringing his possible prison term to 66 years.

However, according to court documents, Brigner was subject to serve a maximum of 33 years in prison and pay a maximum fine of up to $60,000. He will also have to pay restitution, register as a Tier III sex offender and serve five years of post-release control.

Brigner was checked into the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail at approximately 6:42 p.m. Tuesday and is awaiting transport, according to the jail’s booking documents.