Bands to promote marijuana legalization at Jackie O's

One of the highlights of the Athens Halloween block party was a performance of Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls On Parade,” by Boomslang featuring Dysfunktional Family.

Now, the two are uniting again to perform a full set of Rage Against the Machine covers at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., on Saturday. Boomslang, Ryan “Emcee Schwartz” and Wes Hunter of Aludel are keeping in the tradition of Rage Against the Machine’s overtly political style by supporting a cause they believe in.

The show will support legalization of marijuana and legislation for the use of hemp. Michael Joseph, keyboard player of Boomslang, said speakers from the Southeast Chapter of the National Organization of the Reform of the Marijuana Laws is collecting signatures for medicinal marijuana to get on the ballot in Ohio.

“We want to … offer the side of the story your TV does not tell you, your politicians lie to you about and offer real education,” Joseph said. “Currently our federally funded DARE program says ‘Don’t do drugs like marijuana and meth.’ … How great a disservice we do to our future generation by lying to their face and grouping those two substances together.”

On the music side, Rage Against the Machine’s music is a departure from Boomslang’s usual style — the show is “intended to be concise.”

Schwartz said he had been a fan of Rage Against the Machine’s music since listening to them in second grade, when his friend’s step-father played the group’s CDs.

“Hopefully people who haven’t heard Rage Against the Machine (because) they’re a younger crowd … will get to see that the band is special,” Schwartz said.

Although the ’90s rap metal band never directly spoke about marijuana legalization in their music, Schwartz said he felt the band would be on board, based on their strong liberal political beliefs.

The show will also feature a beer brewed by Jackie O’s especially for the performance. It’s a special keg of the Hop Ryot IPA infused with black peppercorns and hard maple wood sticks. It’s called, “Ryot Control.”

“The black peppercorns give it a nice aroma and the spice kick, while you get a hint of maple on the tongue,” said Clark Benson, brewery assistant at the Jackie O’s brewpub. “The idea behind the ingredients came from pepper spray and riot batons.”

What: Rage Against the Machine Tribute ft. Dysfunktional Family

When: 10 p.m. Saturday

Where: Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Admission: Cover

@DRUSSELL23

DS834910@OHIOU.EDU