Delfin Bautista is the director of the LGBT Center, which had a successful year, planning events across the university to spread awareness and support for the LGBT community. (Emily Harger | Picture Editor)

Bautista concludes first year as LGBT Center director with many points of pride

Editor’s note: Because Delfin Bautista does not identify with one gender, the non-gendered pronoun “they” is used.

Delfin Bautista was the new kid in town.

Now, after their first year in the position, Bautista has taken the center’s strengths and brought it to the forefront. Bautista has been on the cover of Backdrop, gained crowds at events and become a resource throughout the region.

The center hosted SafeZones on the main and branch campuses, providing education and tools in order to be allies, and brought speakers and crowds to the Second Annual Queer Studies conference. The calendar has been packed since day one.

The center also worked to make itself visible to the public, knowing that its expertise and help does expand beyond Baker 354.

Bautista said they came into Athens not knowing much at all. The culture, the town and the LGBT community had to go through an adaptation process.

“It’s been figuring (the culture) out, in a way, on my own and through bloopers, through asking questions, through mistakes and also through triumphs and successes,” Bautista said.

Sarah Jenkins, programming coordinator for the LGBT and Women’s centers, also just finished her first year in her position.

“It’s a really special space,” Jenkins said. “It’s the only LGBT-centered space within a 100 mile radius, which is huge. I just hope people realize how special it is and that it’s something that we need to support and cherish.”

Megan Villegas, graduate assistant in the LGBT Center, said she appreciated having the freedom for programming and opportunities to let her voice be heard. This year, Villegas headed up projects such as Pride Graduation and an Earth Day celebration.

One policy Bautista said the center hopes has translated to the community is its openness for identities and conversation. Villegas said it has made an impact.

“(Bautista is) really wonderful about having an open door policy that honestly means open door — open to everyone,” Villegas said.

The LGBT Center has also focused on opening and debunking the stereotypes on gender, identity and personality. The LGBT Center has tried to partner and break out of its boundaries with Trans Empowerment Week, National Coming Out Day and this year’s inclusive events such as Take Back the Night.

“There have been more students of color; there have been more trans and gender-variant, non-binary students actively participating in programs, but also just being here in the center,” Bautista said.

Morgan Morgan, a senior studying communication studies and a worker in the LGBT Center, said she feels that there has been a lot of high notes throughout the year, one being Bautista’s leadership.

“(Bautista) really fights on our behalf for the things that we need and the things that the center wants and helping us to remain visible,” Morgan said. “And by us I don’t mean the center, I mean actually the individual students on campus, and that’s something that I really, really appreciate.”

Jenkins said the center is trying to start a mentoring program as well. Also getting a new batch and new crowd in the center is something Bautista is excited for.

“(I’m) just looking forward to having a new crew and seeing what we create together,” Bautista said.

Morgan, on the other hand, is graduating. She’s almost officially an LGBT Center alum and wants to stay connected with the progress of the center.

“I wish I had another year to stay here just to see where the center’s going to go in the next five to 10 years,” Morgan said.

@REB_Barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu