Carter, OU prepare for 'throwback' set

Aaron’s party is planning to make him the “flyest kid on the block” during his performance at South Beach.

Pop artist Aaron Carter will perform on South Beach Thursday as a part of the #TBT with UPC and BSCPB event. This event will feature throwback “swag” including airbrushed snapbacks, inflatables and a live performance from Carter.

Many students may remember Carter from their childhood and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of this pop sensation.

“A lot of people have been really excited,” said Jordyn Humphrey, Live Entertainment Executive for University Program Council and a junior studying commercial photography. “Everyone is like ‘I cannot believe this is happening.’ A lot of seniors have been commenting ‘this is going to make my senior year.’”

During Carter’s reign, he was well known in the late ’90s and early 2000s for his hit singles such as “I Want Candy” and “Aaron’s Party (Come Get It).” Because of his success in previous decades, UPC decided to ask him to perform at Ohio University.

“We came up with the idea of doing a throwback event,” Humphrey said. “… We wanted to get someone with a bigger name that everyone would recognize and was also still a throwback and everyone’s favorite (singer) from their childhood, and that’s why we came up with Aaron Carter.”

Carter started out at age 10 and is now working on getting rid of the childhood star title and looking forward to bettering himself.

“In anyone’s life, you have transitional periods you’re transcending; it’s something we all have to deal with,” Carter said. “There have been times when I went through puberty, and it’s always an obstacle. And I think that’s a good thing. Wanting to achieve more and something greater than yourself is always a good thing.”

Carter explained the reason why he decided to tour at colleges was because his fans have grown up and are now in college. For the live performance, Carter said one can expect that he will go above and beyond.

“I mean my thing is, don’t come in having any expectations. Then, it’s likely that I will exceed them,” he said. “I just hope people see the effort that I put in, ya know, that’s the blood sweat and tears … I put all my effort and love and energy. At the end of the day, all that matters is the fans, and my performance it’s all for them.”

For some, this concert is a time to unwind and enjoy themselves before finals week. For others, they’ve been waiting most of their lives for this.

“When I was young, when Aaron Carter was popular, there was one concert in my hometown that everyone went to, and I didn’t get to go to it,” said Caitlin Stone, a senior studying video production. “So this is like fulfilling my childhood dream.”

If You Go

What: #TBT with UPC and BSCPB

When: Event starts at 4 p.m., concert at 6 p.m., Thursday

Where: South Beach

Admission: Free

@annachristine38

ag836912@ohiou.edu