Cider bar will open its doors in late May

The West End Ciderhouse, set to open in late May, will be the second alcohol manufacturer to hit Athens since Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery.

But the Ciderhouse, unlike Jackie O’s, does not have a license to manufacture beer. Instead, its employees will be restricted to making fruit-based alcohol to abide by the bar’s A1a and A2 licenses, which have yet to be approved by the state.

When the establishment opens, residents can expect house-made wines, ciders and meads made by Kelly Sauber, the house zymurgist, a term which describes a fermentation specialist.

“We’ve done everything to apply for the license,” manager Deanna Schwartz said, adding she started her application with the Ohio Division of Liquor Control in January. “We’re just waiting to get our final approval on our foodservice permit. Once we get that, the state will come and do a walkthrough.”

This is the second local liquor license to be pending state approval this year, the first being Fluff Bakery & Catering, which is still waiting on the state to approve the transfer of D licenses the owners purchased when it bought the West End Tavern’s small assets.

However, the Ciderhouse is able to apply for a new license because there are no quota limits on A licenses, which are specifically for manufacturers, not restaurants or night clubs. The A1a license allows vendors to sell beer or liquor in a glass container, according to the Ohio Department of Commerce website.

“A licenses are manufacturing licenses and retail. It’s a brew-pub so they can sell and serve the alcohol that they make on premises,” said Matt Mullins, spokesman for the Ohio Division of Liquor Control. “It’s a whole different business model; they have to actually make product there that they’re going to sell and register those products, but they don’t need a D license to serve.”

D licenses are the type of license required by restaurants and night clubs.

Fluff’s liquor license is actually being transferred from the Ciderhouse’s current property at 234 W. Washington St., which has been vacant since 2004 after the West End Tavern lost its license in a rent dispute with a landlord.

Schwartz said the Ciderhouse is not associated whatsoever with the West End Tavern and its owners.

But Mayor Paul Wiehl noted there has long been a desire for the property to be active again.

“People were hoping that the West End Tavern would open again,” Wiehl said. “You can see where this might end up being a student hangout, but I seriously doubt it. It will be interesting to see how this goes.”

Schwartz said she signed the lease for the tavern in November, though she’s been thinking about opening it for years. Sauber, she added, has been making wines for more than 14 years.

“We’ll probably have at least five bartenders around, but we won’t need wait staff,” Schwartz said.

She added she would consider the possibility of serving food in the future, but for now, the Ciderhouse will have seasonal meat and cheese platters and canned foods.

All alcohol that isn’t made on-site will most likely be regional, Schwartz added.

The Ciderhouse will be partnering with Jackie O’s for beer.

“The plan is, essentially, to buy alcohol in products that are closest to Athens and work our way out for things that we can’t get,” Schwartz said. “Our menu will be heavy on Ohio products.”

Schwartz said she’ll also consider partnering with the University for charity events, and hopes to host local music acts.

“We have a lot of friends around that play traditional Appalachian style music and they’ve expressed interest in playing,” Schwartz said. “I’ve already had some OU departments going through the space for events, and we would be involved and keep an open mind for community-minded.”

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu