Commencement expected to have 4,200

The end of the year is upon Ohio University, and graduating students will say goodbye to college life with next weekend’s commencement ceremonies. The morning and afternoon ceremonies will be held in The Convo on West Green.

This year’s undergraduate commencement speaker is Chuck Stuckey, former CEO of an online security company and OU alumnus. The graduate speaker is Aimee Edmondson, 2013 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Member, professor of journalism, and chairwoman of The Post publishing board.

“My time here has been nothing short of amazing,” said Samantha Pollock, who is graduating after three years as an OU student. “I think that when you walk across that stage it finally hits you that you’re going to be in the real world 25 minutes after it’s over.”

Returning to West Green for commencement is like returning to Pollock’s roots, she said, after living on West Green as a freshman.

Students at regional campuses are invited to walk at the main campus’ ceremony, but they also have their own ceremonies. OU’s Chillicothe campus has a “Recognition of Graduation” — more than 200 students are expected to attend this year, Jack Jeffrey, coordinator of communications at that campus, said in an email.

“It has all the trappings of a commencement event in a somewhat streamlined manner and allows students to celebrate this occasion with their classmates and faculty members who were part of their college experience,” Jeffrey said. “The event has grown over the years and includes the pomp and circumstance associated with a commencement event, such as academic regalia, a band and a keynote speaker.”

The budget for the main campus ceremonies is approximately $165,000, said Caitlin Barnhardt, associate director of event management for OU’s Event Services.

About 4,200 students are expected to attend and participate in the main campus commencement ceremonies this year.

“I wouldn’t say this is goodbye, but just a see you later,” Pollock said. “I’ll always be a Bobcat.”

What: Commencement Ceremony

When: Saturday

9:30 a.m. Students in the Scripps College of Communication, College of Business, Russ College of Engineering, University College & Regional Higher Education, and the College of Fine Arts

2:00 p.m Students in the Honors Tutorial College, Center for International Studies, College of Arts & Sciences, Patton College of Education, and the College of Health Sciences and Professions

Where: The Convo

@TAYMAPLE

TM255312@OHIOU.EDU