Empowerment, positivity goals for Hollaback! Chalk Walk event

Although chalk on the streets may seem second nature after the Ohio University Student Senate elections, some students are looking to bring a different message to the sidewalks of OU.

Erin McKelle, a first-year OU student studying women and gender studies, is teaming up with Hollaback! Appalachian Ohio to spread the word during Sexual Assault Awareness month. 

McKelle said students and community members could come and join the team to write messages, facts and experiences about sexual assault and violence down Court St. 

“My goal is to have people see these chalking messages or join in on the chalk walk to learn more about sexual assault and street harassment,” McKelle said.

McKelle said this is a no pressure event with a lot of impact; even the chalk is provided and a sheet of ideas to get people thinking about what to write. 

“I think it is a new way of doing activism,” McKelle said. “I don’t think you need to be super engaged to participate in something like this. I don’t see it as being super intimidating or something you need to be super educated about to participate.”

Hollaback! Appalachian Ohio is also helping McKelle support and spread the word about the event.

The goal of the walk is to hopefully stop sexual assault on campus, said Sarah Finley, a first year graduate student studying social work and a Hollaback! Appalachian Ohio intern.

“I’m just excited to get a bunch of people together to promote the same cause (of sexual assault awareness),” Finley said.

Finley said she wants to see perpetrators end the issue and empower individuals.

“A lot of people don’t realize that sexual assault is happening here in Athens,” Finley said. “(People should come to) just spread the word about sexual assault and make sure that people know that it’s happening.”  

The event was pushed back, as not to conflict with the Student Senate Women’s Affairs Commission’s celebration of “Take Back the Night” week. McKelle hopes to bring the fervor from the week to continue the education during Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

“There was a lot of hype for a while for ‘Take Back the Night’ and then it just kind of died down,” McKelle said. “So I want to bring that energy back because it is still April and to just put out a message of solidarity and empowerment.”  

@Reb_Barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Chalk Walk for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

When: 6:15 p.m., Tuesday

Where: Baker University Center

Admission: Free