Everyday Wellness: Mindfulness meditation may help relieve stress

Stress is common in college and beyond. Thinking about obligations associated with school, work and home is in theory a good thing — after all, not meeting deadlines does in fact negatively affect one’s grades, job status, etc. But the omnipresence of goals, tasks and accountabilities can be unsettling, often snowballing into unnecessary and unwanted anxiety. It is the unavoidable aspect of mental processing that makes worries so parasitic, potentially rendering you incapable of enjoying life because you are overwhelmed by the stressors in it. 

The great news is that stress can be managed and conquered. The even better news is that an abundance of methods exist for managing stress. For many of us, relaxation means zoning out in front of the TV or having a beer, both of which do little to reduce the damaging effects of stress. To effectively fight stress requires activating the body’s natural relaxation response. You can do this by going on a walk, playing with your dogs or enjoying your favorite hobby. Though there is an endless amount of options to reduce stress, my favorite method is called mindfulness and, at its core, it is simple. It entails nothing more than an active and attentive appreciation of the here and now. 

Mindfulness is a behavioral process that trains your mental focus to that of nonjudgmental awareness and the richness of being fully alive, resulting in improved coping abilities. Mindfulness has its roots in spiritual teachings, it embraces diversity and it can be practiced by any age or gender, and any educational, economic, cultural or religious status. There are no objectives to complete when participating in mindfulness; instead, it is a time to simply listen to your body and appreciate every thought that fills your mind and every breath that brings you life. 

So ignite your inner capacity! Imagine what it would be like to be rid of that constant nagging stressor in the back of your head that is causing undue anxiety. Your mind, free of negative thoughts, would be better served by being 100 percent invested in what you are currently doing. In other words, mindfulness facilitates paradigm-shifting so that the time you spend with family and friends is enjoyed to the utmost, and the time devoted to homework and studying becomes more focused and productive and does not necessitate perusal of Facebook and Twitter every couple of minutes. 

I must admit I was initially turned off to the rather abstract practice of mindfulness. In a world that is run by hustle and bustle and technology, it seemed unorthodox and even unfathomable to participate in something so vague and intangible. So I don’t blame you if your first instinct is to roll your eyes and label this as some sort of voodoo-cult practice.  But for kicks and giggles, please ignore your gut reaction and give mindfulness a try. Hopefully, like me, you will find your initial feelings of hesitation and skepticism to be replaced by feelings of happiness, appreciation and peace.

Lastly, for those who prefer some sort of structure to guide the mindfulness practice, attending a class, listening to a podcast or even sitting with a small group of friends are all great avenues for learning the healthful mindfulness process of navigating through our stress-filled world.  Here are some links to some free guided meditations: http://vimeo.com/69064641(from the Lifestyle Medicine Institute) and http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22 (from the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center).

Mark Gottschlich is a medical student at the Heritage College of Medicine.  Email Mark if you have general questions about health and wellness at gg617012@ohio.edu; call your physician for personal or illness related concerns.