From the editor's desk: Simple solutions can chip away at big problems

Shalom, dudes and dudettes.

Week 11 is now over. The great weather made it sail by, too. I’m feelin’ good, and lookin’ even better.

A hearty welcome to all of the moms and grandmas who are in town this weekend. If this is your first time in Athens, make sure you take a brick before you leave; if you’ve been here before, it’s great to have you back.

In case you’re looking for something to do during your time here, we’ve compiled some of the many events that are scheduled for this weekend. If all else fails, the bars are on Court Street.

The biggest news of the week was undoubtedly men’s basketball coach Jim Christian’s departure from Ohio University after two years to head to Boston College. We have plenty of coverage about the ramifications of his decision in today’s issue, so I won’t drone on further.

Another significant story this week was the decision allowing men to participate in the Take Back the Night march that took place Thursday night. The march is a demonstration for women and, now, other gender identities as well. The change was significant and relatively controversial.

But that’s not why I’m bringing it up. The march is one of many methods to combat sexual violence. The Post’s top editors have previously written at least four editorials over the past five years advocating for an additional method: improving lighting in Athens and on campus in order to help prevent crimes, particularly violent ones such as sexual assault.

Student Senate Vice President Mary Kate Gallagher does not agree. She recently reposted on social media a photo of her holding a sign that read, “Dear The Post: The problem is NOT we need more lighting!!!!”

Never did one of those editorials claim that poor lighting is a cause of sexual violence. In fact, a number of them pointed out the many other methods to prevent sexual violence. Yet, Gallagher made her sign.

In fairness, I have not spoken to her directly about the sign. But I believe her assertion is misdirected. The Post has worked actively through the years to print articles about reported rapes, to report on problems that might play a factor in sexual violence and to publicize the activities of activists combating sexual violence.

So, why call out a publication that is working to achieve the same end? How is that productive?

A 2012 Post article detailed Athens’ relatively low standing in street lights per square mile compared to similar college towns. It also described city council’s efforts to spend more on lighting, and Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said more lighting helps deter crime.

Better lighting can help.

It is not a panacea, but to ignore any approach that might save one person from sexual assault is a terrible mistake.

There are much deeper societal and cultural problems that are the root cause of sexual violence. I’m sure that’s what Gallagher was referring to with her sign.

But you can install a light much more easily than you can overhaul a culture. So as we work to combat those root problems, why wouldn’t we turn on the lights?

Ryan Clark is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Email him your thoughts at rc348710@ohiou.edu.