Eli Chesser, son of Nathan Chesser, and Vanessa McGee, daughter of Joe McGee and Annie Robinson, mash bananas during a cooking competition at Kidfest. The event took place Saturday, April 12 at The Convo. The annual event provided games, activities, and prizes for kids of all ages. (Megan Cartellone | For The Post)

Kidfest draws families, fun

Families who attended the 27th annual Athens County Children Services’ Kidfest on Saturday at The Convo enjoyed activities both fun and educational.

The children’s event featured a magic show, storytelling time, photo booth, a cooking competition, a snake trainer, a DJ and multiple other game booths that looped around The Convo.

“There are lots of things they can’t see elsewhere. There are fire trucks outside and a helicopter for the kids to see,” said Terrence Smith, a volunteer for Athens County Children Services.

Athens resident Ellen Soroka, 59, came to Kidfest for the first time with her grandchildren. “We’re watching the kids for the weekend,” Soroka said. “We get to have them till Monday, and it’s going to be great. They are already having so much fun.”

Her grandson Nathan, a 5-year-old boy who had a caterpillar painted on his face, was one of the many kids who experienced Little Doctor’s Hospital, a booth ran by OU students.

“I liked looking at gross teeth,” Nathan said. “I will never get my teeth like that.”

Nathan’s 2-year-old brother, Luke, had a different idea on his favorite experience at the fest.

“Bouncy house! Bouncy house!” he said.  

The “bouncy house” was one of the most crowded areas in The Convo, packed with kids and surrounded by parents and strollers.

A few hours after the event started, tired kids were already sound asleep in their mother’s arms or on the back of their father. But kids who were wide awake and full of energy were running around the place, laughing.

Crafts and prizes were abundant — especially firefighter hats. Many young boys and their fathers wore them.

Athens resident Katie Austin, 32, who works for OU’s School of Nursing, was one of the parents who joined in dancing between shows, while her three-year-old daughter took the stage.

“I have two kids — (a) 2-year-old and (a) 3-year-old,” she said. “We couldn’t come last year because the kids were too small, but we are definitely coming back next year. My kids had a great time and saw lots of stuff.”

Austin especially appreciated the student volunteers’ work at the event.

“All the students were great with kids. I mean, these are 2-year-olds and 3-year-olds; they can’t really follow the directions. But they were very patient with them and it was really nice,” Austin said.

@_SUHYEONPARK

SP317712@ohiou.edu