Sarah Devonshire, right, and her mother Cheryl Devonshire, left, try on some recycled paper bead jewelry during the Moms' Market at Ping Recreation Center for Moms Weekend.

Moms Weekend charity events, craft expos and comedy shows entertain families

Moms were out in full force on Court Street this weekend as Ohio University celebrated its annual Moms Weekend.

On Saturday, the University Program Council sponsored its 14th annual Walk for a Cure event. Students, families and Athens residents walked to support breast cancer research, with all of the proceeds going to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. The amount of money raised was not available by press time.

Ping Center seemed painted pink as crowds gathered to walk. Tracy Raczak said she decided to participate with her daughter Jessica, a sophomore studying graphic design, and dog Prada to support family members who had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Mother-daughter duo Alex, a sophomore studying early childhood education, and Sue Lindway decided to make this event a tradition, enjoying quality time while supporting a good cause.

“(Alex) was a freshman last year (when) we did it, and we said we were going to do it every year while she’s here at OU,” Sue said.

Danielle Turner, a junior studying pre-nursing and her mother Monica said they were excited to support the fund.

“We both have lost people to cancer so we wanted to support a good cause,” Monica said.

After the walkers departed, part of Ping was also set up with vendors and booths, showcasing local crafts, jewelry and homemade goods for its “Moms Market.”

One vender, 83-year-old Jean Patton-Moody, comes every year to sell her hand-painted wine and liquor bottle lamps. She said she loves to see the moms, children and students walking around and enjoying her work that she loves to do.

Becky Staton and her daughter Yvonne, a freshman studying music therapy, said they like to visit craft shows and appreciated the event.

“I like to look at all the local jewelry (and) locally made things,” Yvonne said. “I think it’s really fun.”

The Performing Arts Series brought in entertainer Loni Love, who has shown off her jokes on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Chelsea Lately and as the co-host of the new daytime talk show The Real.         

Love performed in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Saturday. Jennah Rawahneh, a freshman studying civil engineering, and her mother said Love lived up to her on-air presence.

“I (saw) her on Chelsea Lately,” Lisa said. “It was nice to see her in person.”

— Meryl Gottlieb contributed to this report.

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu