OU to host myriad events for Moms Weekend influx

Ohio University’s Moms Weekend will boast activities spreading a wide array of interests, including dinner theater, cabaret, charity walks and a visit by entertainer Loni Love.

Also included during the weekend are showings of The Wizard of Oz at The Athena Cinema, excursions with Outdoor Pursuits, and jewelry and market sales throughout campus.

Friday, the Campus Involvement Center will hold its annual dinner theater, bringing in Mystery’s Most Wanted troupe from Pittsburgh, said Matt Thompson, coordinator for student programming. He added the event is already sold out.

Being able to provide dinner and a show, Thompson said it would provide an experience for the family.

“I think it’s a good bonding experience,” Thompson said. “The actors … encourage a lot of interaction between the participants and the actors.”

With the goal of raising $14,000 for the Susan G. Koman Foundation, UPC is holding its Annual Walk for a Cure. All of the proceeds raised will benefit the foundation, said Victoria Vincent, university events executive for UPC and a senior studying exercise physiology. 

With it being the 14th year of the walk, Vincent said this is an opportunity for the OU family to come together for a common goal.

Also in the spirit of benefiting charities, a portion of Phi Beta Sigma’s 20th Annual Cabaret aims to benefit My Sister’s Place along with their Sleepout for the Homeless event on Friday, said Pierre Robertson, representative for the event and a senior studying economics and political science.

“We have a nice dinner prepared for the students and for their mothers,” Robertson said. “We have performances that showcase local student talent, then we have a night full of line dancing to tap the night off.”

Robertson said it provides an opportunity for wholesome fun and an alternative from the bars.

“Athens is a great college town, however it’s known for its bar scene and its party scene,” Robertson said. “This cabaret contributes … to the integrity of the campus as well as to the town.”

Entertainer Loni Love will make her way to OU on Saturday to humor a crowd at Templeton Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

Loni Love has a varied background from guest DJ on “The Ellen Show” to appearing on “Chelsea Lately” and co-hosting a new talk show called “The Real,” said Samantha Caulfield, PR coordinator for the Campus Involvement Center and a senior studying journalism in an email.

“We decided to bring Loni Love because we wanted to provide a funny, relaxing night for moms or anyone visiting this weekend,” Caulfield said.

In addition, many Athens events outside the university will host gatherings to attract the influx of mothers.

This article originally appeared in print under the headline "OU to host myriad events for mom influx."

Moms Weekend schedule of events:

What: Moms Weekend Market

When: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Sunday

Where: Ping Center

Admission: Free

What: 14th Annual Walk for a Cure

When: 9:30 a.m., Saturday

Where: Ping Center, Area D & E

Admission: $20What Phi Beta Sigma’s 20th Annual Cabaret

When: 6:30 p.m., Saturday

Where: Walter Hall Rotunda

Admission: $5, contact Pierre Robertson at pr336110@ohiou.edu

What: Loni Love

When: 8 p.m., Saturday

Where: MemAud

Admission: $15

What: Shade Winery: Moms Weekend

When: 3 – 8 p.m., Saturday

Where: 401 Gilkey Road Shade, Ohio

Admission: Free

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu

eb395612@ohiou.edu