School of Music prepares to broaden its horizon

For their latest event, the Ohio University School of Music is taking Athens across the pond.

Starting Tuesday, and continuing through the week to Saturday, the music school will host British Music Festival, which will allow students to perform music specifically created by British composers. 

“We just decided that all of our ensembles usually have a greater theme, and we decided to put them all together with this one,” said Andrew Trachsel, director of bands. “That seemed like a natural choice.” 

The week-long series kicks off with the Symphonic Orchestra performing in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Tuesday, and continues until Saturday. The choirs will end the festival in the First United Methodist Church, starting at approximately 4 p.m.

“I am looking forward to all the pieces coming up this week,” said Paul Mayhew, the conductor of the Women’s Ensemble, who’s performing in Saturday’s show. “I know in our show, there are going to be over 100 singers, so it’s going to be a great experience.” 

Andy Francis, an esteemed OU alumnus, composed some of the music for Thursday’s show, which will be conducted by Trachsel and Richard Suk, symphonic band conductor.  

“(I think) just enjoying some great music from student performers and seeing how much everything these great music pieces and musicians have to offer is a great opportunity for students,” Trachsel said. “Plus, it’s free, so that’s always a good thing.”

Francis will not be alone in his song’s premiere as Mark Phillips, a professor of music at OU, will also debut new pieces. 

“It’s a very special occasion when a composer of instrumental music, especially of orchestral music, gets to hear his or her music brought to life by such fine musicians in concert hall in front of an audience,” Phillips said. “It’s such an ephemeral but memorable experience, which stands in stark contrast to all those dry notes fixed on a page in a manner that can survive for centuries.” 

@TheWillofAsh

wa054010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: British Music Festival

When: 7:30 p.m.,  Tuesday – Saturday

Where: Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium

Admission: Free