Provided via She Bears

She Bears release new indie-rock album and perform on Athens Sessions

The term and genre of “Indie Rock” has been bastardized by those who would describe it on a spectrum from My Chemical Romance to Fun., but if there is a band that optimizes the ideal of the genre it would be She Bears.

The group of Ohio University alums and Athenians at heart are now based out of Columbus and hot off a new album release, “We Will Be Fossils.” The group was able to join

for the final edition of Athens Sessions for the academic year, playing the first two tracks off the forthcoming album “Sorry, Abby” and “Heathens.”

All of She Bears’ songs are characterized by a melodic and catchy guitar riff complemented by an equally catchy vocal line but these two opening songs set the mood right for the rest of the album. Combining energy, changing moods and time signatures and a charismatic aura that surrounds the music, She Bears have created an album that belongs on college radio charts.

Stephen Zefpha Pence (guitar/vocals), Alex Douglas (guitar/synth), Ryan Franz (bass) and Alex Eiler (drums/vocals) have developed in the Athens music scene, drawing influences from some of the great bands past and present that they only hoped to one day aspire to. Certainly “We Will Be Fossils” put the group at par with the group’s former heroes.

Douglas has an ear for molding complimentary guitar lines that guarantee the songs melody will stick with you long after the initial listen. Pence’s vocals bring a distinct voice to the band which perfectly sets the mood for the band and Franz and Eiler are locked in on bass and drums, which does exactly what any good rhythm section should do — lift up the finer points of the rest of the band.

But the group wasn’t always a four-piece. They had struggled for nearly two years to develop the lineup they have now, having to consolidate down to the tight-knit group they are now. Struggles still come up in the live performance as Douglas attempts to straddle lead guitar and keys, but, obviously, these problems are not present on the recordings, which feel full and complete.

“Fossils” is another key single from the album brought to life by the cascading bass melody echoed by the guitar and drums in the chorus. And for a song that clocks in at only 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, the group adds a lot of layers and takes the song in a lot of different directions.

Other highlights come from “Paper Boats” and “Wet Shirt” which show off the band’s ability to switch between an in your face wall-of-sound guitar style and a delicately crafted guitar riff.

The album as a whole rarely, if ever, slows down but individual songs are constantly changing moods and keeping the listener guessing as to where the sound will go next.

“We Will Be Fossils” is currently free to stream on the group’s Bandcamp site,

weareshebears.bandcamp.com

, and will be available in print soon. See the band perform for Athens Sessions at

thepost.ohiou.edu

.

wh092010@ohiou.edu

@Wilbur_Hoffman