Starting pitcher Erin Lashley winds up for a pitch against Buffalo in Athens, Ohio on Sunday April 6, 2014. Ohio won 4-3. (Jason E. Chow | File Photo)

Softball: Bobcats prepare for battle against Zips

If there was such thing as a Mid-American Conference East Division championship game during the regular season, it would resemble Ohio’s final two road games this season in a series this weekend at Akron.

The Zips, which are in third place in the East Division, can gain a game on the Bobcats if they manage a home sweep. Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek is well aware of how critical this series is in dictating the final standings.

“These games are crucial,” Hermanek said. “Akron has done really well in conference and we need to come out and be on the attack. We need to set the pace early and jump on them.”

One thing the Bobcats will have is momentum.

Despite splitting Wednesday’s doubleheader at Marshall, the Bobcats stroll into the Akron matchups with offensive firepower, backed by junior first baseman Alexandria Basquez’s three home runs in that series.

In addition, they have statistically their best pitching duel for Hermanek to throw out into the pitching circle.

In game two of the doubleheader with Marshall, sophomore pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey threw her 206

th

strikeout this season, the most of any Ohio pitcher in program history.

The only other pitcher to ever get into the “200 strikeouts in a season” club is junior Lauren McClary, who has pitched well recently.

“We need to just be an aggressive team,” Hermanek said. “I think they’re going to try to use their speed as well, which is what Marshall showed us. It was a great tune up for what is ahead this Saturday and Sunday.”

Throughout the season, Hermanek and her players have said their main goal is to win the conference outright. This weekend is their best opportunity to all but cement that statement.

“These are two important games for us, being on the road for the last time,” she said. “We just need to set the mark early.”

The Bobcats swept a two-game series against the Zips last season.

Up next

Who: Ohio (26-20, 10-4 MAC) at Akron (22-13, 7-5 MAC)

When: 2 p.m., Saturday and 1 p.m., Sunday

Where: Akron

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_