Softball: Bobcats sweep Rockets on Friday

It’s not often a team hits two grand slams in a doubleheader, but Ohio did just that when it swept Toledo on Friday afternoon.

It's also not often to blow a four-run lead in the seventh inning with two outs, only for sophomore pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey to hit a walk-off single.

Regardless, the Bobcats swept sweep the Rockets 6-0 and 5-4 to begin their four-game home weekend.

“I’m just really proud of the offensive and defensive effort today,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We played well both games … we made adjustments in both games so I’m proud of everything we did today.”

The Rockets didn’t score a run until the second game in the seventh inning with two outs, when the team rallied to score four runs, including a two-run bomb from Jessica Lemieux.

But other than that last-second collapse from the Bobcats, they dominated the entire day.

A grand slam in the first game from freshman third baseman Casie Hutchinson put the Bobcats ahead in game one and senior first baseman Alexandria Basquez followed up in game two.

“We just had excitement to go out and win it,” Hermanek said. “We had two grand slams today, Casie’s was her first. We just set the table to manufacture runs.”

For most of the day, every time Toledo showed any signs of aggression, Ohio quickly clamped down on anything dangerous.

In two occasions where the Rockets tried to send a runner home, the Bobcats were able to force outs, thanks junior outfielder Adrienne Gebele throwing someone out from right field in game one and catching a Rocket in a rundown in-between third and home.

“We just have to do a better job of closing games and slamming the door before they have any opportunity to get back in it.

But the big difference in the doubleheader was pitching.

Dorsey kept Toledo scoreless in the first game, tossing eight strikeouts while only giving up one walk. In game one, Toledo’s Emily Anderson had 10 strikeouts, but also gave up six runs on nine hits and four walks.

In game two, Anderson looked rattled as she gave up four runs, walked four players while hitting another in the first inning alone.

Hermanek decided to pitch junior Lauren McClary, who finished the outing with four strikeouts. McClary looked confident for most of the afternoon, other than the meltdown in the seventh.

The Bobcats will continue their homestretch this weekend with games against Bowling Green on Saturday and Sunday.

FAST FACTS

Game One

OHIO 6 

Toledo 0

Game Two

OHIO 5 (21-17, 6-2 MAC)

Toledo 4 (14-25, 5-5 MAC)

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_