Women's Center celebrates success, seniors

The Women’s Center is ending its year honoring not only its accomplishments but graduating seniors during its ice cream social this Friday.

Susanne Dietzel, director of the Women’s Center, said she is proud of the work that the center has done this year. Through programming with Brown Bag discussions, guest speakers and reactionary events from sexual assault accusations from the beginning of the year.

The center has also worked with other outlets on campus, teaming up with resources such as the LGBT Center and Multicultural Centers. For Sarah Jenkins, programming coordinator of the LGBT and Women’s centers, opening up the conversation surrounding gender and identity was one of the highlights of the year.  

Some of the speakers the center has boasted this year include writer Ali Liebegott, writer and activist Jaclyn Friedman and scholar Janell Hobson.

Liz Volpe, graduate assistant for the Women’s Center, said she has learned a lot through her work for the center, helping with event coordination and social media.

“We had such a positive response to all of our events this year and we saw a big boost in our social media,” Volpe said. “We’ve seen an increase in attendance, not only physically in our center but also in our online presence.”

Volpe said, although she is sad to leave the center, she is excited to see what comes next for the center.  

“It’s just an exciting time for us because I see this momentum continuing next year,” Volpe said.

“We’ve had so many events happening and so much positive stuff happening in the center it’s kind of a great way to get everybody together and say, ‘Congratulations on such a fantastic year,’” Volpe said.

Dietzel said she hopes through this celebration, and events like this, students know that the center is supportive of them as well.

Jenkins said she is excited to enjoy each others company and celebrate the seniors, both undergraduate and graduate, that will also be graduating from the center.

“They’re so awesome and it’s going to be really hard to not have them here next year,” Jenkins said.

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu