Women's Golf: Bobcats set to tee off at Ohio State

After finishing three straight tournaments within the top 10, Ohio looks to work on and fine-tune its game in the the final weekend of competition before the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

This weekend, the Bobcats will head to Columbus to play in the Lady Buckeye Invitational. Ohio will see some of its toughest competition this weekend — No. 24 Michigan State, as well as Kansas, Kent State, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue and host team Ohio State are slated to hit the links.

Kansas, Kent State and Ohio State are ranked in the top 50 in the NCAA with Ohio State holding the 28th position, while Kansas sits at No. 39 and Kent State at No. 40. The Lady Buckeye Invitational will offer the toughest competition that Ohio has seen this spring.

The Bobcats will also see five of the top 100 players in the nation headlined by Purdue junior Aurora Kim at No. 45, while Ohio State freshman Jessica Porvasnik sits at 49th. Michigan State seniors Liz Nagel and Allyssa Ferrell will be competing ranked No. 66 and No. 88, respectively. Kent State junior Jennifer Ha is ranked 92nd.

The recent curse of the Bobcats has been the weather, but the forecast looks to be ideal playing conditions. The sun will be out and shining and the wind, which caused havoc during last weekend’s Dolores Black Falcon Invitational, will not make a comeback.

The competition will take place at The Ohio State University Golf Club on the Scarlet Course. The Scarlet is the tougher of the the club’s two courses and is a par 72.

Two members of Ohio have been playing some of their best golf of the season in the past few weeks. Freshman Hailey Hyrnewhich struggled in her second round last weekend, but shot under 80 in her first round. Sophomore Angela Codian finished 15th overall in the tournament, making her the second Bobcat to finish among the top 20 individuals in the past two competitions.

The Bobcats will see a challenging field, but with good weather and their recent momentum, the team should see some personal success before the MAC Tournament.

Ohio tees off on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. when it will play the first and second rounds of competition.  

ph553412@ohiou.edu | @PaulHolden33