Via Dave Weissman

Groovy jams and group bonding galore to be found at Dark Star Jubilee fest

In its third annual weekend tribute to The Grateful Dead, Dark Star Jubilee is set to continue its tradition of gathering communities and playing groovy jams all weekend long.

The Dark Star Orchestra, a Grateful Dead tribute band that has played alongside the living members of the original band, is set to play all three nights of the music festival held at Legend Valley in Thornville, Ohio this weekend.

“It’s a great start to the fest season,” said Dave Weissman, the event’s coordinator. “This is probably the best line-up that we have had yet.”

The fest allows audience members of all ages to gather up their tents, camp out for the weekend and enjoy a weekend full of live music, group bonding and newfound friendship, among other surprises. The event kicks off with the band The Werks at 6 p.m. on the Dark Star Stage Friday.

“We hope to convert as many of the unconverted as possible, and to further convert the initiated,” said Pete Bernhard, guitarist and vocalist for The Devil Makes Three, which will make its debut at the fest this year when they play at 12:30 a.m. on Friday night on The Other One stage. “We don't know what to expect from the event this being our first time playing, but we assume it is going to cause great happiness in the hearts of the people.”

Possibly the most anticipated performance of the weekend is from The Everyone Orchestra, who will consist of various different members of different bands in the festival who will perform together at 4:15 p.m. on Sunday on the Dark Star stage. In the 30 years that the group has shared that name, the band has never consisted of the same members for another performance and, therefore, never sounds the same.

“We're just excited to be playing our first festival of the summer,” said Erin Zindle, front-woman for The Ragbirds, playing Saturday at 2 p.m. on the Dark Star Stage. “Randall Moore and I will also be joining The Everyone Orchestra on stage Saturday afternoon as well.”

Among the main priorities of all the bands is making sure the energy is light and free, and that people are enjoying themselves.

“We are very honored that we have been asked to play and look forward to playing it,” said Tara Nevins, front-woman of Donna The Buffalo, playing Sunday at 2 p.m. on The Other One stage. “I’m sure it is going to be a great time. We always find that our concerts are great for people to meet together and join in grooving to our music, so I hope we can provide that during our performance.”

At the end of the day, that is all that the festival runners want from their audience.

“Where else can you go and hug a complete stranger and share in the warm, the cold or whatever is going on in the environment together,” Weissman said. “There is a sense of community there, even though people are coming from all the way out in California and Colorado. It’s a safe and comfortable environment.”

If You Go

What: Dark Star Jubilee

When: May 23-25

Where: Legend Valley in Thornville, Ohio  

Admission: weekend pass general admission $125, RV camping general admission $50

wa054010@ohiou.edu

@thewillofash