Men's Golf: Ohio finishes 8th at MAC Championships, ends season

When freshman Peyton White took his final stroke at the Mid-American Championships in Akron, he didn’t realize it would conclude a disappointing finish to the Bobcats’ season.

White, who was Ohio’s medalist in seven tournaments this year, shot 13-over-par for a four-round score of 301 in the team’s eighth place finish — identical to last year.

He finished tied for 23rd after three days of competition, following teammate junior Andrew Mlynarski, who placed a career-best in the tournament in 21st place.

“I’m not upset,” White said. “It’s unfortunate we finished our season this way but it really was just one round we had some high numbers. We had a solid outing and I think (the placement) will drive us next year.”

Phil Giesker showed endurance in his final collegiate MAC Championships ever, though.

Giesker placed 29th overall and shot a team high of 72 in the final round, as the senior was reflective in his final competitive outing.

“I wanted to go out the right way and play well,” Gieseker said. “I missed some opportunities today, but I made a clutch putt on 17 to make birdie and get back to even. I can say I went out on a high note and I can’t thank Ohio University enough for this experience.”

Thomas Leech and Bradley Lucas rounded out Ohio, as Leech placed 41st on a four round score of 314 and Lucas shot 28-over-par in the tournament.

Ohio found itself near the bottom of most statistics, with the Bobcats ranking last out of nine teams in pars and sixth in Birdies.

Kent State won its sixth straight MAC title, as Akron and Toledo rounded out the top three in the leaderboards.

The tournament marks the conclusion to Ohio’s season, as coach Bob Cooley and the Bobcats will look to reconvene next season without Giesker, Lucas and Connor Coldwater.

The experience at Ohio University has just been phenomenal – I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” Gieseker said. “I’ve met so many amazing people and my teammates have been great. It’s an experience I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”

White mentioned how close the team was throughout the season and that things can only improve for Ohio.

“Cooley has been great for us,” White said. “This tournament is going to be a motivator and is going to to help us improve for next season.”

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohiou.edu