Hudeck

Ohio hockey player recovering after falling four stories from ladder early Saturday morning

The Ohio University hockey community has been hard at work this week following an accident involving one of its players early Saturday morning.

Nick Hudeck, who recently finished his sophomore season, fell four stories off a ladder about 3 a.m. Saturday and was life-flighted to Columbus after suffering severe head trauma. He was checked into an intensive care unit and received emergency brain surgery on Sunday.

But Thursday, he was moved from intensive care to a lower trauma room and was able to walk and eat for the first time since the accident.

His teammates wasted no time doing their part to support the Hudeck family this week.

There is an ongoing #HudyStrong trend on Twitter designed to support Hudeck through his recovery process. Through that hashtag, many have posted a link to a website, which is selling t-shirts and asking for donations. The first order of shirts sold out the first day the website went live.

There are two different shirts available on the website, each posted at $15. There is also a link to give a $5 donation. All profits will go toward medical bills for Hudeck’s family.

“Everything seems to be going as perfect as it can for him right now, and that’s all we can really hope for,” teammate Michael Harris said. “I got a text (Thursday) morning saying he was doing some rehab and talking, and he recognized some of the guys from the team, so that was good.”

Anyone wishing to make a contribution can visit the website at hudystrong.bigcartel.com. Updates on his health can also be found at facebook.com/hudystrong.

aw987712@ohiou.edu

@_tonywolfe