The Convo played host to three commencement ceremonies on Friday and Saturday, with about 4,000 OU students receiving their degrees.

OU confers degrees on 4,000 students

The days of stressing over exams and assignments may be over for the graduating Class of 2014, but the memories made at Ohio University will always be remembered.

More than 4,000 OU undergraduate and graduate students received their degrees after Saturday’s two commencement ceremonies at the Convocation Center. OU’s 2014 commencement ceremonies began on Friday with graduate student commencement. Undergraduate commencements started at 9.30 a.m. Saturday.

Charles R. Stuckey Jr., a 1966 alumnus, is the chairman emeritus of computer-security giant RSA security, of which he was CEO for 13 years, and a major donor to the university. Stuckey was the commencement speaker for Saturday’s undergraduate ceremonies.

His speech focused on imparting life lessons he had learned through years of business experience. Stuckey shared moments of his life with those graduating, encouraging them not to be afraid to get outside their comfort zones.

“Make it a point early on to try to get outside of your comfort zone,” he said. “One of the big roadblocks I’ve seen through successful careers and a truly exciting life is the fear of making a decision, then the confidence to follow up on it.”

Aimee Edmondson, an OU journalism professor and chair of The Post Publishing Board, was the graduate commencement speaker on Friday.

Stuckey also encouraged graduates to never lose sight of where they came from or compromise their values.

“Listen to your inner voice or gut in making those important decisions in life, let passion, not dollars, be your motivator” he said.

Stuckey said success is determined by how a person responds to failures. Those who were able to learn from mistakes and start over new were the ones who ultimately excelled, he said.

“It all comes down to three things: passion, determination and hard work,” Stuckey said. “If I can do it, you can as well.”

Outgoing OU Student Senate President Anna Morton spoke briefly at the ceremony. She said Athens ignites a feeling in people that only Bobcats understand.

“The final masterpiece of your time at Ohio University may be finished, but the canvas is still very, very blank,” Morton said. “You have the brush, you have control of the strokes and the decisions you will make in your future. Your adventures will continue."

Other speakers included OU’s Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi and Julia Mann Keppner, Vice Chair of the OU Alumni Association.

“You may remember that I challenged you to leave this place better than you found it,” Lombardi said. “You are not just graduating as a leader, you are graduating as an Ohio University Bobcat, and I ask that you take this challenge with you and always try to leave every situation better than you found it.”

Matt Slavin, 22, who graduated from the College of Business, said it felt weird to know that his time at OU was over.

“It still hasn't really sunk in,” Slavin said. “Whatever lies ahead, lies ahead, but it is never going to be the same as it was.”

Scripps College of Communication graduate Samantha Caulfield, 22, said she felt liberated and overwhelmed after graduating. She also had a message for future OU students.

"Honestly, have a goal when you get here," Caulfield said. "Dream big and keep that dream in mind for the four years you are here, and make as many friends as you can. That's a lot of advice, but that's what it is."

jl951613@ohiou.edu