Slew of local arrests and indictments made in alleged drug network extending from Athens to Detroit

Local law enforcement officials from four different agencies announced Monday the results of a recent collaborative effort to shut down an alleged drug ring in the area.

The drug network, they claim, is part of a larger operation extending from Athens County through Columbus to Detroit and may go across the Canadian border.

Five individuals were arrested Monday morning, bringing the supposed ring’s total arrest or indictment count up to eight individuals since last week. That includes 26-year-old Derek James Gyure, who was arrested last week after a four-car chase through Glouster.

In all, eight individuals — ranging in age from 18- to 45-years old — face a total of 31 felonies, according to a news release from Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn’s office.

According to previous Post reporting, Gyure was armed with a .40 caliber Glock handgun at the time of his arrest and tossed a green ammunition box into the brush, which contained more than 1,400 tablets of what are believed to be 30 mg Oxycodone pills.

Altogether those pills have a street value of $42,000. The box also had contained more than $17,000 in cash.

Blackburn said Monday that Gyure is believed to be the supplier for multiple drug dealers in the Glouster area, including 22-year-old Glouster resident John Casey Metcalf, who was indicted three days after Gyure, and served an indictment charging four counts of aggravated trafficking in drugs and one count of engaging in a pattern of corrupt behavior — which is a first degree felony.

Local law enforcement officers observed anywhere from 45 to 60 cars coming and going from Gyure’s mother’s house in Glouster, Blackburn said, presumably to purchase drugs.

Gyure faces five counts of aggravated trafficking in drugs, plus another five felonies, according to a news release from Blackburn’s office.

Gyure and Metcalf will be arraigned on May 21st, along with 25-year-old Athens resident Billy Haynes, who was indicted May 9th. The three currently are incarcerated in the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, Blackburn said.

The existence of the alleged drug ring was revealed after a member of Athens’ drug diversion program mentioned it during treatment, Blackburn said, adding that undercover investigations took place to pinpoint the alleged perpetrators.

“Glouster people will know what would happen if they deal and sell drugs,” Blackburn said. “These 22- to 27-year-olds will still be in prison when they are in their forties.”

Interim Replacement Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith was on hand to stress the importance of proper treatment for drug users.

“Drug dealers should stop dealing drugs (and) get the treatment, if it’s needed,” Smith said.

“We are not done yet,” Smith added.

Besides Gyure, Haynes and Metcalf, the other alleged offenders include 22-year-old Glouster resident Kendra Sharrer; 37-year-old Tinkey Rutter, of Chauncey; 45-year-old Bert Sharrer, of Jacksonville; 18-year-old Bert Sharrer, Jr., of McConnelsville; and 36-year-old Ryan Rutherford, of Nelsonville.

@_SuhyeonPark

sp317712@ohio.edu