Softball: Dorsey tosses perfect game; Bobcats defeat Cardinals in second round of MAC Tournament

Centerfielder Alyssa Wolfe robs a home run to record the final out of sophomore pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey's perfect game on Thursday. The Bobcats have advanced to the third round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. (Via MAC Sports)

From start to finish, sophomore pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey dominated No. 1 Ball State on her way to her first collegiate perfect game.

And she made her job look easy after gaining early run support, as No. 5 Ohio struck first with three runs in the first inning. Those were the only runs the Bobcats needed on their way to a 3-0 victory Thursday to advance to the Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinals.

This perfect game was no fluke for Dorsey either, as she set down all 21 Ball State hitters that stepped to the plate. After pitching a complete game on Wednesday, Dorsey quieted the most potent offense in the MAC while also recording 13 strikeouts, which marked a third consecutive game she finished with double-digit strikeouts.

However, Dorsey almost lost her perfect game on her final pitch when Ball State’s Jen Gilbert sent a ball to deep center field, which appeared to be headed over the wall. Luckily for Dorsey, centerfielder Alyssa Wolfe robbed Gilbert’s potential home run to preserve the perfect game and victory.

“We had to just come in and attack them on everything,” Dorsey said. “We knew that they are good hitters and have very good offense. They are very incredible offensively, so that definitely added to it. I’m really glad that Madison and the rest of the team rose up today to help us win today.”

Before Dorsey toed rubber in the second inning, she had a three-run lead after the Bobcats (30-24) came out and set the tone in the bottom of the first.

Amanda Dalton, a sophomore, and Taylor Saxton, a freshman, set the table by each singling to lead off the Bobcats' first turn at the plate. Two batters later, senior Alexandria Basquez hit a bloop single to right field, driving in Dalton to put Ohio on the board.

After junior Adrienne Gebele singled, Dorsey helped her own cause with a sac fly to score freshman Casie Hutchinson for the Bobcats’ second run. Ohio rounded out the inning with a third run when freshman Madison Claytor singled to right, driving in Basquez from second.

From there Dorsey cruised and overpowered a Cardinals offense that struggled against last month. During her first meeting against Ball State, she was jumped on early and the Cardinals won 10-0.

“She went out there and did her thing,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “Madison called a great game for her and got some huge at outs in their lineup in their 3-4-5 hole. … There was no jittery moments throughout the seven innings. It was just Savvy in her zone and her attacking them.”

The Cardinals (33-18) were not used being dominated and have been shut out just 11 times in the past five seasons.

“Going into this game we just had the mentality that we had never played this team before,” Claytor said. “It was just a whole new start as I trusted what she was pitching and she trusted what I was calling. Coming in with a fresh start was very beneficial today.”

With the win, the Bobcats will remain in the winner’s bracket and face either No. 2 Buffalo or No. 6 Central Michigan on Friday at 5 p.m. Ohio split its series with both teams during MAC play.

ak840511@ohiou.edu

@Kovarandrew