Board of Trustees to privately review McDavis

Three members of Ohio University's Board of Trustees will meet privately  this weekend to review the university's president.

The Board's executive committee will conduct its annual performance review of OU President Roderick McDavis in executive session on Saturday, said Stephanie Filson, the university's director of external communications. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. at The Hampton Inn — Easton in Columbus.

The process this weekend is different than it has been in the recent past, said Peter Mather, the board's secretary, in an email. 

Follow @ThePostCampus for more on this story.

"This is the first time in a couple of years that we've had this particular step in the process — that is, the executive committee meeting prior to the June board meeting," he wrote. "The board is just trying to cross all t's and dot all I's before they get together in June to discuss the president's evaluation as a full board."

Last fall, the Board used executive session to raise McDavis' salary without a public vote, a move that was first called into question by The Columbus Dispatch. Under Ohio law, public bodies, like the Board, can only vote or make decisions during a public meeting. 

The board subsequently acknolwedged its illegal mistake and approved McDavis' salary increase at a later meeting in a public setting. Any changes to the president's compensation will be made in a formal, public vote, Mather said.

The move to increase McDavis pay came after his annual performance review. His contract, which runs through 2017, states he is eligibile for a bonus if he meets "mutually agreed upon predefined goals." Last year, McDavis received two pay increases, bringing his base pay to $427,000, and a one-time $62,250 bonus. 

The executive committee is comprised of four trustees: David Brightbill, the board's chair, Janetta King, David Wolfort and former board chair Sandra Anderson. Anderson won't be able to attend this weekend's meeting, Mather said.

The report from this weekend's private meeting will be presented to the entire board at the next full board meeting at OU's Eastern Campus in St. Clairsville, OH on June 27. 

dd195710@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold