'Boogie on the Bricks' brings music and fun to Athens

It’s time to put a little bit of boogie back on the Athens’ bricks.

In its 10th year, the annual “Boogie on the Bricks” festival will groove on Court Street this Saturday.

“It’s kind of a purely Athens festival in that most of Court Street is closed off and is a beer garden essentially between two stages,” said Scott Kreps, event coordinator.

On top of the music played and art sold, he said the festival offers something for the whole family. Not only will there be enough drink and delight to satisfy the 21-and-over crowd, but a family-centric area will provide kids the opportunity for bounce house, face painting and more, supported by the Athens County Childrens Services and the Dairy Barn Arts Center.

Another aspect to the festival, Kreps said, is a commitment to sustainability. Kreps said “Boogie” is partnering with two specific environmental groups, Rural Action and their Zero-Waste initiative, in order to decrease the waste produced by the festivities.

Kreps said the festival also works with Third Sun Solar, an Athens-based solar power company that provides solar work around Ohio.

Bailey Wagner, Third Sun Solar growth-coordinator, said the company plans on providing a 1.7-kilowatt trailer as a charging station, running on solar energy, to allow festival-goers to recharge phones.

“Usually the goal is just to show people that have never seen solar panels, or touched them, to give them that exposure and be able to see it and see how it works, and of course welcome any questions. We love to educate people who have questions,” Wagner said.

“Boogie” will feature a wide variety of performers, both local and out-of-town acts, Kreps said. Two stages will be at the festival: the Main Stage located at the intersection of Court St. and W. State St., and the Summer Shandy Stage located at the intersection of Court St. and W. Union St.

One of the acts includes band Boomslang, and for bass player Josh Wilker, he will be trading his spot in the audience for a spot on stage.

“It’s my first time performing at ‘Boogie,’ ” Wilker said. “I’m looking forward to being a part of the atmosphere. I think ‘Boogie’ … is great because it’s outdoors and it always has great music, great food, great art to be seen everywhere — I’m just glad to be a part of it.”

Wilker said this adds a bit more pressure leading up to the performance, but looking forward to providing a fun atmosphere for festival-goers. Boomslang will be playing from 7-8 p.m. the Summer Shandy Stage.

Walter Kolhoff, saxophone player for Mojoflo, who will follow Boomslang on the Summer Shandy Stage from 8:30-9:30 p.m., said he is excited to enjoy the crowd and all the festival has to offer.

“We’re going to have a fun time up there jamming, so I hope everyone has a good time jamming with us,” Kolhoff said.

For a full set-list and more location details, visit the “Boogie on the Bricks” site at boogieonthebricks.com

If You Go

What: Boogie on the Bricks

Where: Court Street

When: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., Saturday

Admission: Free

Contact Rebekah Barnes online at rb605712@ohiou.edu or on Twitter @reb_barnes