Ohio University Police officers weigh in on recent college shootings

Recent shootings at U.S. colleges don’t represent a direct threat to Ohio University, but OU Police officers say those incidents reaffirm t

heir mission to keep Athens safe.

On May 23, an armed man killed six people at the University of California at Santa Barbera, as well as himself, according to the Associated Press. The AP also reported that a 19-year-old man died after a shooting at Seattle Pacific University in early June.

OUPD Chief Andrew Powers said the tragedies at UCSB and Seattle Pacific University are a reminder of how school shootings can occur anywhere and at anytime.

“I was sorry to hear about the tragedies at (University of California at Santa Barbera) and (Seattle) Pacific University.” Powers said. “Although they don’t raise any specific concerns for OU, they do remind us once again to remain abreast of current training and response tactics.”

Powers said he attends a monthly statewide briefing at Ohio Homeland Security where concerns about school shootings are often addressed. But he said no special meetings have been scheduled in response to recent events.

OUPD officers have been enthusiastic about preparing the university to respond to similar situations, but officers admit participation rates have been historically low for university-sponsored training sessions for students and faculty.

The free sessions, called ALiCE training programs, help prepare folks to fend for themselves during an active shooter situation. ALiCE stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Escape.

Lt. Tim Ryan said OUPD officers continually train to prepare for similar situations, but he also added that it was vital for students, staff and faculty to also be prepared.

Sessions are held every semester and officers produced an award winning video, but Powers said, attendance for these training programs have been sparse.

Lt. Eric Hoskinson, an ALiCE instructor, said the department conducts three or four public training sessions a year but the numbers vary based on request.

OUPD almost couldn't meet the demand for sessions following the 2012 elementary school shooting in Newtown, CT, and there has been a small but steady rise ever since.

“Our numbers are getting better and better each year up to and including our regional campuses.” Hoskinson said. “The more we reach the better off we are.”