Via artswest.blogspot.com/

Art exhibit reflects OU student's 'Transformation'

Emily Beveridge has grown a lot since her days studying painting as a graduate student at Ohio University, which is why “Transformation” seemed like the perfect title to her new ARTS/WEST exhibit.

Beveridge has lived in Athens since 2002 and received her bachelor’s in painting from OU in 2006.

“Many of the pieces in the show have elements of transformation in them: baby moths hatch from eggs, deer transform into caterpillars and a turtle grows a city on it's back,” she said. “Transformation is the most complete form of change. It is an interesting word, because it has

associations with magic, and with nature.”

The artwork includes digital images, collages, cardboard moth-men and a “smoke” wolf canvas character that’s 25-feet long.

She has been ARTS/West’s artist of choice in July for the past several years, and July is her month of choice  because it coincides with Athens Rock Camp for Girls, a program Emily supports, said Kelly Lawrence, events coordinator at ARTS/West.

Lawrence said people should see the exhibit because Beveridge is a talented artist.

“We have so many talented artists in Athens, and she is the cream of the crop,” Lawrence said. “Emily always has something new in her exhibits, so each one is a pleasant surprise, and her art never disappoints.”

Free food and wine will be provided at Friday’s opening reception.

“I think I'd like for people to see the new work I've made the past two years for school, and

maybe a peek at what's to come for my thesis show which opens next year,” Beveridge said. “I hope it will make people smile and possibly be slightly weirded out.”

If You Go:

What: Transformation: An art show by Emily Beveridge

When: Opening reception 6 p.m. Friday; on display through August 4

Where: ARTS/West, 132 W. State St.

Admission: Free

Contact Anjelica via email at ao007510@ohiou.edu or on Twitter @thisisjelli