Running back Daz Patterson gets a block from wide receiver Mario Dovell against Louisville last season. The Bobcats lost 49-7. (File Photo)

MAC Media Day: Midweek games have given the MAC its identity

If “MACtion” has become the face of the Mid-American Conference, its success has been spurned by midweek games before national audiences.

When the calendar flips to November, early-week primetime conference games dot the schedule, often times resulting in the “big game” matchups following a 9-to-5 shift or day of classes.

Jeremy Guy, the MAC Director of Communications, said he first saw the term “MACtion” popup on the Internet and the conference decided to gamble on the catchy-yet-corny phrase.

“I thought this is something we should use,” Guy said. “It makes sense. In a time during our high-scoring football games, it was action. “MACtion” … it just worked.”

Guy also said it’s become the identity of the MAC, which has persevered from extinction as conference realignment reigns supreme and high rollers reap the rewards of modern college football.

“It’s fast pace, exciting, just like the games we pride ourselves on,” Guy continued. “Our games are just as exciting as any other college football game.”

This past year when Ball State (9-1, 6-0 MAC) strolled into Dekalb, Ill. for a midweek matchup against No. 15 Northern Illinois (9-0, 6-0 MAC), the conference hyped the billing as a conference championship during the regular season. And it met the expectations, as the Huskies went on to win 48-27 and played in the MAC Championship game three weeks later.

“The reward is so much greater when you’re playing during the week,” Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey said. “I think the players like it, but they complain they have to go to calculus that morning, too.”

The viewing numbers don’t just translate to more money and relevancy for the MAC, they mean an opportunity to reach a new audience — one with new recruits attracted to primetime games on ESPN networks.

Sure, the conference as a whole loves the idea of Tuesday and Wednesday night games. But coaches do too, as long as substituting traditional Saturday games for midweek appearances equals more improved recruits.

Buffalo coach Jeff Quinn said the opportunity to showcase his program was crucial in the Bulls securing their highest recruiting class in its history.

“We want to be on tv,” Quinn said, smiling. “So whatever day of the week it is, we’ll be ready to play.”

If there’s a consensus on anything in the conference, the midweek games come across as a gift that won’t stop giving. And after stringing together two top-five draft picks in the past two NFL Drafts with Jordan Lynch’s third-place finish in the Heisman trophy race, MACtion is comfortable with its current situation.

“When we’re able to build up those midweek games, it makes our conference even stronger,” Guy said. “Diehard fans and proud alums love to watch their teams on the national spotlight. It gets us on a national stage.”

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_