Bobcats struggle in opening weekend

If the Boilermaker Challenge Cup was any indication of the season ahead, the Bobcats strolled away with more questions than answers.

After what second-year coach Aaron Rodgers considered a pro- ductive preseason, Ohio began its campaign this past weekend with losses to Butler and Purdue, stirring up uncertainty.

The team Ohio put out on the field Sunday was hardly a reflection of the squad constructed when the players and coaching staff reunited on Aug. 5, Rodgers said.

“I’m really at a loss because the performance of the team was nothing like we’ve been,” Rodgers said. “We were doing well and starting to create a rhythm but that was missing.”

Rodgers also expressed doubts over the Ohio’s overall fitness levels, but acknowledged Friday’s 3-2 loss against Butler in double overtime may have played a part in the team’s stamina.

Purdue outshot Ohio 22-9, but senior goalkeeper Nicole Amari made 10 saves to keep the damage at a minimum for the Bobcats. Redshirt sophomore midfielder Carly Manso attempted six shots — the only Ohio player to record more than one.

With both Friday and Sunday fixtures dotting the next two week- ends, he said his squad needs to briskly adapt to the quick recovery time so it can focus on any strategy and any unexpected hiccups.

But the weekend also provided a showcase for the incoming freshmen to make an impact, including midfielder Hannah Jaggers starting the Purdue match. In total, six of nine available freshmen made appearances, indicating Rodger’s focusing on a more youthful team.

“We are in a long term process,” Rodgers said. “We have more talent this year than we did last year.”

Heading into the season, he wanted to concentrate on a more attacking style of play, something that was slowly webbed into the Bobcats last year, when they finished the 2013 season 7-7-5, making it the first year the program shrugged off a losing record since 2009.

“This weekend was an opportunity to see us grow and define who we want to be. The girls are going to have to step up and do that. We all share the same frustration.”