Editorial: Thanks, confusion and reaction

Post editorials come in threes today. 

WALTER FIELDHOUSE

Although we have opined about topics involving the long-anticipated Walter Fieldhouse in the past, we have yet to express our gratitude to Robert and Margaret Walter, Ohio University alumni whose donations made the project possible. A sign of our thanks is well overdue.

The Walters, both 1967 OU graduates, donated $8 million to fund the construction of the $12.5 million fieldhouse as part of a $10 million donation pledged in December 2010. They have long been ardent supporters of the university, their namesake already adorning a pair of campus buildings: Walter Hall and Walter International Education Center.

We were glad to see the Walters on campus for the ribbon-cutting ceremony Monday, and we applaud their commitment to their alma mater. 

We hope that all students have a reasonable opportunity to use the facility — not only those involved with Ohio Athletics, the Marching 110 or the myriad other groups that will regularly use the space.

The Walters’ gift was generous, and for that we thank them.

STUDENT SENATE

Much fuss has been made over senate President Megan Marzec saying she hasn’t been pleased with her previous meetings with Ohio University President Roderick McDavis.

For those who missed it, she was quoted in a Post article Tuesday saying that she has found it difficult to communicate effectively with the administration.

Ohio Director of External Communications Stephanie Filson said that Marzec did not return McDavis’ congratulatory email after she was elected president, and that senate did not make any attempts to communicate with McDavis over the summer. 

Marzec told The Post on Tuesday that she will now meet with McDavis at least once per month.

We urge Marzec to continue to keep her line of communication with McDavis open in order to best represent our student body. 

That’s what her fellow students elected her to do, and it can’t be accomplished through silence.

MICHAEL BROWN

In light of the recent protests in Ferguson, Missouri, almost a dozen students took to campus Monday, wielding cardboard signs, and chanting “Hands up, don’t shoot,” to honor Michael Brown, an 18-year-old who was shot and killed on Aug. 9.

The protest was small, and to some, insignificant. But despite its size, we enjoy seeing students get involved in national affairs and joining in the conversation.

Some students reacted negatively and smirked at the protesters’ attempt to make a difference, but we commend those who took the time to raise awareness about Brown’s death. No matter what the students’ opinions are, it’s important for students to educate their peers. We encourage you to follow the news — especially topics of national importance such as this one.

Athens can sometimes feel like it’s in its own little bubble, far removed from the nearest metropolis. It’s reassuring, however, to see students who are passionate enough about an event that occurred hundreds of miles away. Good for them. No sign of solidarity is too small.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.