Selections from Kari Gunter-Seymour's newest ARTS/ West exhibit titled "Ordinary Life."

New photography exhibit to show ‘ordinary life’ in a new way

In Kari Gunter-Seymour’s exhibit opening Friday in ARTS/West, she seeks to make the “ordinary come alive” with art.

Using her iPhone 4 and the Hipstamatic app, Gunter-Seymour uses a variety of combinations of lens, film and flash choices to capture images of ordinary subjects, like a doormat or optometrist’s equipment.

“These iPhone photographs are created in a ‘shoot from the hip’ experimental way,” Gunter-Seymour said in a news release. “Challenges include researching the possibilities of a couple hundred lens, film, flash combinations; understanding the limits of focus and focal length, and to anticipate where the available light source will most likely manifest itself with the frame.”

The Hipstamatic smartphone application allows any user to make his or her images look as if they were taken with a vintage camera by using filters and vignettes.

Kelly Lawrence, events coordinator at ARTS/ West and curator of the gallery space, said she knows Ordinary Life will be something great to see, especially because the exhibit uses a lot of local images of Athens and Athens County.

“It’s always fun for people to have an opportunity to look at art and recognize an element as being similar to their own lives or where they live,” Lawrence said. “I think it will be fun to see Athens and ordinary life from a different point of view.”

If You Go:

What: Ordinary Life by Kari Gunter-Seymour opening reception

When: 6-8 p.m. Friday; exhibit is on display Aug. 9 – Sept. 4

Where: ARTS/ West, 132 W. State St.

Admission: Free and open to the public