Ohio looks to gel offensively from the get-go

Ohio’s first test is over.

Ohio’s first test is over.

The Bobcats finished preseason camp Saturday and there are still some questions about the team’s lineup, but the biggest one comes under center.

After saying that redshirt junior Derrius Vick had a ‘slight edge’ over redshirt sophomore JD Sprague in the quarterback battle just a month ago, coach Frank Solich still hasn’t named a starter for week one.

He may name one by Monday, but said they plan on using at least two quarterbacks in the season opener against Kent State.

Whoever starts will have talent around him in the backfield, as Solich said, the running backs this season are better than he’s had in nine seasons at Ohio. That group is led by the tandem of junior Daz Patterson and senior captain Tim Edmond, who are thankful to be working against a terrific defensive unit every day this offseason.

“(The defense) has helped us to calm ourselves down,” Patterson said. “No matter who we’re playing against, to work hard and to get 11 guys on the same page to put together plays.” The unit will be full of speed, skill and youth this season, Solich said the offense is still a “work-in-progress.”

Solich said the competitions for backup and role player spots on offense — most importantly the wide receivers and running backs — remained strong through the entirety of fall camp, even when they hit a lull during the middle when players start- ed getting hurt and tired.

“They’ve always been a high-energy group that wants to get things done,” Solich said. “We reached the lull in the middle of camp where guys were banged up and tired, but they pushed their way through.”

Redshirt senior wide receiver Chase Cochran add- ed throughout his four years at Ohio this year’s team has gelled more than others. He said the competition for open spots in the lineup throughout the roster has helped them become a single unit.

“In the past we’ve had Tyler (Tettleton) and it’s always been that constant, but now we have a couple quarterbacks that are in the running. Now you gel more because you’re getting more reps,” he said. “I’m not going to go out there and say, “Derrius, I’m only throwing with you.” I’m throwing with Derrius and I’m throwing with JD. I’m trying to get reps with every guy because you never know; it’s that next-man-up mentality.”

Cochran said the team’s potential on both sides of the ball means nothing until they face off on Saturday. “There’s tons of potential, but potential doesn’t mean much until you put it into play,” Cochran said. “That’s a league game, you have to be ready for those, there’s no ‘warm-up game,’ this one counts for your record.” 

@ALEX_BUSCH91

AB109410@OHIO.EDU