Louisville linebackers Keith Kelsey and Deiontrez Mount take down Ohio running back Ryan Boykin during the final quarter of the University of Louisville home opener against Ohio University. Ohio lost dramatically against Louisville with a final score of 49-7 on September 1, 2013

Opening week MACtion a rarity

For the first time since 2001, the Bobcats will open their year against a Mid-American Conference opponent when they travel to Kent State University on Saturday. It’ll be just the second time a pair of MAC teams will begin their seasons in conference play the past seven years.

Although Ohio opened the past two seasons with notable road games against Penn State and Louisville, respectively, this year’s season opener has the highest stakes.

Frank Solich, who is set to begin his 10th year at the helm, said kicking off the regular season against a rival adds excitement to a game his team has already been looking forward to since losing the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl.

“Usually players have a lot of energy to open the season up regardless of who we’re playing,” Solich said. “There is a little added touch in playing a conference game and having it against Kent State, who has always played us very strong and very physical and very well. It has developed into a rivalry.”

While non-conference games still affect a team’s overall record, and could make or break their chances of making a bowl game, the outcomes of MAC games determine who makes the conference championship: a team’s ultimate goal.

The Bobcats won seven of eight non-conference games to begin the last two seasons, but have split their 16 MAC games.

“We’re going to find out what we’re all about — there’s no warm-up game,” redshirt senior wide receiver Chase Cochran said. “This counts for your record in terms of the MAC.”

Solich is 5-4 all-time in season openers at Ohio, but some Bobcats have said there’s an added incentive to win this year after being blown out at home last year. Monday, the MAC head coaches picked Ohio to finish third in the MAC East with Kent State coming in fifth.

“I think the first game being at Kent State, being a MAC team and at 6:00 under the lights is going to be sweet, man,” Tim Edmond senior running back, said. “There’s really nothing like college football. That first opening game says a lot especially against another MAC team.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu