Put It In Writing: Tips on dealing with writers block

Post columnist Kirsten Saylor shares her advice on how to cope with Writer's Block.

It is the beginning of yet another school year, and that means that it is time to write. College students everywhere are writing essays, research papers, thesis papers and possibly their own works, such as short stories, songs or even a novel. No matter what you are writing, you are likely to, at some point in time, run into this pesky issue called "writer's block."

Writer's block occurs in several different ways. It could be that you are struggling to come up with material to write, the words do not sound right on paper or you are simply stuck in the middle, and you cannot see a way to continue.

The first thing to know about writer's block is this: it is perfectly okay to have it. This is a common occurrence that affects even the most distinguished authors. You are no less of a writer if writer's block rears its head in your way.

The second thing to know about writer's block is how you can overcome it. This, however, is the tricky part. Every writer is different; they have their own style, routine, quirks and aspirations. There are so many pieces of advice I could give about overcoming writer's block, but allow me to tell you what has worked for me.

First and foremost, take a break. Your brain is probably overwhelmed and digging for words is not going to help at all. Use that break to catch up on sleep, take a walk, listen to music or go eat. It does not matter what you do, as long as you give your mind a rest.

Second, talk to someone. This someone could be a peer, a professor, a parent or a sibling. You never know how someone else's words can influence and inspire your own.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, stop striving for perfection. Perfection is not going to happen when you first begin writing. Perfection comes through practice, editing and knowledge. You still have much to learn, so much to do, and even then it may take time. So forget about writing something perfect and save yourself the stress and grief now.

With that, I leave you with the wise words of world-renowned author Neil Gaiman, the author of The Sandman series, Coraline and Stardust. Here is his advice on overcoming writer's block: “Suggestions? Put it aside for a few days, or longer, do other things, try not to think about it. Then sit down and read it (printouts are best I find, but that’s just me) as if you’ve never seen it before. Start at the beginning. Scribble on the manuscript as you go if you see anything you want to change. And often, when you get to the end you’ll be both enthusiastic about it and know what the next few words are. And you do it all one word at a time.”

Kirsten Saylor is a freshman studying English. How do you overcome writer’s block? Email her at ks749113@ohio.edu.