To welcome the thousands of new students, the Marching 110 took to the streets and showed off their music and their moves. (SETH ARCHER | PICTURE EDITOR)

092614_Paramore, Clean Bandits, Miley Cyrus among artists to be covered by OU band

Ohio University’s Marching 110 will play a series of female rock hits this week. The band recently was recognized by members of ‘N Sync for last weeks show.

After an invigorating reaction from last week’s crowd and recognition from two ‘N Sync members on social media, Ohio University’s Marching 110 is playing to impress. 

With limited time to learn the new show, the band will take the field to perform a female rock routine.

At Saturday’s football game, the Marching 110 will play a series of hits by female artists during the halftime show. The band will take on “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore, “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit and last year’s popular song, “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus.

Then the band will drop their instruments and dance to “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Last week’s Justin Timberlake and ‘N Sync performance had a great reaction from the crowd in the stands, the high school students on the field and also from Lance Bass and Joey Fatone, two members of ‘N Sync, on Twitter. 

“It’s always cool to get an artist’s reaction to our performance because you never know,” said Josh Boyer, assistant director of The Marching 110. “Sometimes they like that we’re covering their music, and sometimes they’re like ‘Oh, this isn’t what (the music) is intended for.’ ”

It is exciting for the band to have artists not only recognize the performances, but to also enjoy and share it with others, said Tyler Thompson, the percussion section leader and a senior studying communication sciences and disorders. 

This week, after previously playing with nearly 1,000 high school students, The Marching 110 has the chance to perform a full halftime show for all the Bobcats and parents sitting in the stands.

“We just started learning this show so there is extra pressure to make it as good as the last (performance),” said Krista Cominsky, a trombonist and sophomore studying restaurant, hotel and tourism.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu