AFC North Nation: Forget Money Manziel, Dalton is the one bringing in the cash

Well, the Bengals decided to go ahead and give Andy Dalton the money that he was looking for. When word got out that Dalton signed a six-year, $115 million deal, according to CBSSports.com, the Cincinnati fan base went nuts.

I’m a huge Bengals fan, and this deal drove me insane. The organization is putting its trust into a quarterback who has led the team to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons, but can’t seem to win a single playoff game.

If you look at the structure of the deal, and really dive into how Dalton has been playing, as a Cincinnati fan, I think you’ll be happy with the signing of the former Texas Christian University gunslinger.

Dalton is guaranteed a $12 million signing bonus, and is guaranteed $18 million in the first year of the contract. So he could potentially have $22 million by the end of February. With that said, Dalton is only guaranteed $2.8 million a year, the rest of it comes from incentives.

The most important factor for Dalton is winning a playoff game. If he can get a win under his belt, the money will surely start flowing. I think every Bengals fan can agree that if Dalton does go out and get a win a playoff game, then the cost was definitely worth the reward.

Dalton is just one of three quarterbacks to throw for 3,000 yards in his first three seasons. The other two: Peyton Manning and Cam Newton. Not bad company, huh?

Dalton also boasts a 30-18 record throughout the regular season for his first three seasons on the Bengals.

I know that everyone has the same concerns that I do — that the man gets worried in the pocket, and doesn’t seem to know when to let the ball go when he should just take a sack. Everyone can imagine Dalton throwing a deep pass, and then noticing A.J. Green slowing down so he doesn’t outrun Dalton’s weak arm. But who else would you rather have? He goes out there and has helped win games for three straight years, and he has shown improvement each year.

Newly hired Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson said he promises to have a stronger run game established. That will limit the amount of throws this year for Dalton, who threw 586 passes last year, the eighth most in the league, according to ESPN.go.com. If he doesn’t throw the ball as often, his mistakes are going to decrease. As a result, the anger and resentment toward the quarterback will diminish.

Call me crazy but I like where the guy is leading this team, and I see him as a winner because that’s all he’s done for the Bengals. He’s won.

Dalton has only played three seasons, so when he finally gets his act together, this Cincinnati team is going to be a scary opponent to face. Dalton is going to be the guy the Bengals need, and I think it was a smart move to give him the money now rather than wait until he sets records this year, and is worth a lot more.

Dalton is the guy Cincinnati needs, it’s just time for him to go out there and get a playoff win.

Adam Wondrely is a senior studying creative writing and journalism. Where do the Bengals stand this year in the AFC North? Email him at aw922910@ohio.edu.