AfterTASTE Recipe: Smoked cheddar frittata with bacon

One of my personal recipes is a smoked cheddar frittata with bacon. 

One of my personal recipes is a smoked cheddar frittata with bacon. It’s a great “one pot” dish to share with a handful of friends and makes for great leftovers throughout the week. Since it includes so many ingredients, frittatas are a perfect way to clean out the refrigerator of miscellaneous items. But at its core, the dish just needs the staple ingredients of eggs, milk and cheese. Creative minds can decide the rest. However, disasters can occur if the sauté pan is overloaded with ingredients. If overcrowded, the egg mixture will not be fully cooked or overflow and create an oozing egg mess in the oven.

Prep: 15 minutes

Active: 25 minutes

Wait: 20 minutes

What you’ll need:

1 large potato, peeled and diced small

1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil

½ Spanish onion, diced

1 garlic clove, minced

4 mushrooms, diced

6 eggs

A splash of milk

1 cup of smoked cheddar cheese, shredded

5 sprigs of chopped chives (optional)

4 strips of thick sliced bacon, ½ slices (preferably Boar’s Head)

salt and pepper to taste

The process:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Boil a small pot of salted water. Once it comes to a rolling boil, add the potatoes. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Then drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic to the pan for about 6 minutes. When the onion is translucent, add the mushrooms and adjust the heat to medium low. Salt and pepper the ingredients to taste. Cook the mushrooms until tender for about 5 minutes. Then add the cooked potatoes to the mixture. Take the sauté pan off the heat and set aside.

Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the smoked cheddar cheese and optional chives.

In the sauté pan, pour the egg mixture over the cooked ingredients. Distribute the chopped bacon evenly among the other ingredients and stir delicately.

Place the sauté pan in the oven. Allow the frittata to cook for about 20 minutes. The top should appear slightly browned. Use a knife or toothpick to check if the frittata is fully cooked. If the knife or toothpick comes out clean, then happy eating!

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @foodiefait and Instagram at @cassiefait.