Megan Marzec, Ohio University Student Senate president, ends last Wednesday’s meeting on September 10, 2014, to loud applause and cheering from those remaining.

Amidst chaos, senate passes several resolutions

Student Senate passed four resolutions, one of which showed approval of university funding for the Survivor Advocacy Program.

After a heated Student SpeakOUt Wednesday night, Ohio University Student Senate passed four resolutions, one of which declared the body’s support of university funding for Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program.

Sponsor of the resolution and Women’s Affairs Commissioner Madison Koenig, a senior studying English, said the passing of the resolution is evidence that “the body really cares about students.”

“(The Survivor Advocacy Program) is one of the best support programs we have on campus,” Koenig said.

Resolutions to staff an environmental committee, to allow appointed members of senate to sponsor resolutions and to form a Committee on Conduct and Discipline also passed.

Director of Community Standards and Student Responsibility Martha Compton discussed the revised Student Code of Conduct that will be available online by Thursday morning.

Students are urged to read this new Code of Conduct, which Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones called an “almost complete re-write.”

Responses can be submitted via the suggestion box located on the website, Compton said.

Senate also tabled two resolutions, including one which would open the sponsoring of resolutions to all students at the university. Amendments to this resolution would clarify how this process would operate logistically, with the hope of giving a more prominent voice to students.

Also tabled was a resolution to change the format of resolutions, by potentially deleting words such as “whereas” and “resolved” clauses.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu