Rep. Steve Stivers

Athens' congressman backs up Pres. Obama's ISIL plans

Athens' Congressman spoke to The Post Wednesday night after President Obama spoke to the nation about the possible threat from the Islamic State.

In his White House address Wednesday night, President Barack Obama laid out a plan he hopes will defeat the Islamic State in the Middle East without any troops going overseas.

The president made his thoughts on the Islamic State, commonly known as ISIL or ISIS, clear: It’s not a religion or state recognized by any government, he said, only a terrorist organization.

They execute captured prisoners. They kill children. They enslave, rape and force women into marriage,” Obama said. “They threatened a religious minority with genocide.”

All but ruling out using U.S. troops on the ground, Obama laid out a four-part plan he likened to the strategy he’s used in Yemen and Somalia.

First, Obama disclosed plans to cooperate with the Iraqi government and launch a series of air strikes.

We’re hitting ISIL targets as Iraqi forces go on offense,” he said.

Obama further explained that the U.S. “will increase our support to forces fighting these terrorists on the ground.” He plans on sending 475 “service members” to Iraq to aid in intelligence and training.

Obama stated the U.S. would work toward cutting off ISIL’s funding, while increasing national intelligence to curtail terrorists from moving in and out of the Middle East.

From a diplomatic standpoint, Obama promised to offer what he called “humanitarian assistance to innocent civilians who have been displaced by this terrorist organization.”

In two weeks, Obama said, he plans to hold a meeting with the United Nations Security Council to mobilize other nations around that effort.

Though the politics of Rep. Steve Stivers, R-15th, typically clash with the president’s, the southern Ohio Congressman agreed with Obama’s call for limited action.

“I agree with his strategy to destroy ISIL,” Stivers said.

Stivers said he hasn’t seen Obama submit any related funding request to the U.S. House of Representatives or Senate, but he looks forward to any that may come his way.

“I’m going to give him the resources he needs,” Stivers said.

The congressman wouldn’t rule out sending U.S. troops to ISIL-controlled areas in the Middle East, but doesn’t think it’s a necessity.

“If the strategy works, it won’t include forces,” Stivers said, pointing to Saudi Arabian and Turkish ground forces who are already mobilized.

“We have the intelligence with air force to help them succeed,” Stivers added.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu